'Be anxious for nothing..." ~Philippians 4:6

Monday, June 20, 2016

SPEAK UP

As I get older, I'm embracing confrontation, and finding the value in speaking up. It just quashes stuff! It shocks people, too, especially if you have a history of just taking stuff off of people. There's no more walking around with unspoken words piled on top of your heart and clogging your mind. Saying what you need to say is quite liberating! I feel no obligation to excuse or protect liars, fakes, gossips, or those who sow seeds of discord. 
I don't like to begin my week with uncertainty. I don't like to anticipate problems, but I'm just being realistic. You know when people are itching to engage you with their drama--especially people who somehow think they have authority over you or your environment. Maybe it's because they've completely exhausted and lost the respect of the people in their own spaces. The joy is that I've experienced divine intervention many times. It shows up, upends confusion, and sets everything right again. Sometimes, you have to speak up. Sometimes, God will do it for you--and He's so much better at it.

I like peace...and harmony...and order. I don't like toxic situations or messy people. I don't bother others. I mind my own business. I don't go looking for trouble. I don't start stuff. As a member of the "be seen but not heard" generation, I don't have to say a word, but I don't miss much. I've learned to trust my discernment. I no longer think that if I'm nice, others will be nice to me. That worked when I was a kid--not so much these AARP days.
It is important to be secure in the presence of those who are laboring under the misapprehension that they regulate or negatively affect anything in your life. When it comes to those who have been a consistent nuisance, you have to determine if you're going to just grin, bear, and pray for them, make yourself scarce, or finally tell them exactly what's on your mind--minus the non-Sunday School words of course...lol

Sometimes, we give too much leeway and power to people, and they perceive that we are accepting or fearful of their bullish, insensitive behavior. They view your silence as a sign that you are weak, afraid, insecure, or timid. They're wrong. You have an able and swift advocate who sees you, cares for you and won't allow you to be bullied.
Peace at all costs can't always be the strategy. Sometimes, when your cause is just, you have to speak up, and not care one whit about the response. In order to stop their intrusive and pushy ways, some people need to have their feelings hurt in the way that only the honest truth can do it. Truth and honesty facilitates change--even if it means some people will be exiting your life so that room can be made for those who are genuine, kind, helpful, caring, respectful, supportive, encouraging, and loyal.

No comments:

Post a Comment