'Be anxious for nothing..." ~Philippians 4:6

Monday, June 6, 2016

MAKING MUSIC

I love music...good music. 
Maurice White left some of the finest music on Earth for all of us to enjoy. 
It was an honor to sing the songs of my youth, and hear them played so masterfully by the members and friends of the DMV's own, Spur of The Moment Band. 
Making music with others is one of the most wonderful things in life. The sum of everyone's effort is intoxicating and inspiring, and when it's right, it rings--and makes you smile until your face hurts.


Performing this past weekend at Merriweather Post Pavillon was so much fun. It was so encouraging. Nothing about it seemed like work. Nothing was stressful (not even all of those sky high notes...lol). There was no drama, just committed, humble, friendly, gifted people all doing their parts. I can't say it enough: Some things don't have to be hard. That's where leadership comes in. That, too, is where a belief in being on one accord, matters.

...oh yeah. And I sang with the very talented Eric Benét  ...OMG!!!!!!!!! (Yeah. I had a geek moment when I got home.)...and yep...he was as nice, and funny, and gracious a gentleman as can be...and his photos don't do him justice...and he called me "lovely" even though I felt and looked like a bit of a troll on Friday. (Who knew he would actually BE there at rehearsal? Maybe I would have made an effort...lol) The cool part was that all that mattered to everyone was the music. I love it when people respect the music of another individual and endeavor to perfect it.

I'm so grateful to my friend, guitarist, Wayne Bruce for the vote of confidence, and to the Capital Jazz organization for its commitment to live music, and the continued support of artists who set a standard, mastered their instruments, and taught us what great music is all about. The standard has been set. Fat chance lowering it. 
Where music appreciation is concerned, I'm so glad I grew up when I did.

Lord, last weekend definitely goes into the "Sunny Days" file. 
Thank you. 
I needed that...: )

No comments:

Post a Comment