'Be anxious for nothing..." ~Philippians 4:6

Tuesday, March 1, 2022

QUARANTINE LIFE: POETRY PROMPT---MAKING WORK


It's funny how this crazy time 

Has opened many eyes

And made it necessary 

To adjust and realize

That there are those who obviously 

Have little else to do

Than sit comfortably in their homes 

Concocting work for you

Farming out your services 

To make themselves look good

Then getting mad when you don't comply

Like they thought you would


Sometimes, I wonder just how the conversations go

People tossing names

Vetting the people that they know

"Who can we get to come 

And do this thing for free?"

"I know who I can get 

Who owes their very life to me".


"But will we have to pay them? 

Can't they just volunteer?

What is the least that we can do

Just to get them here?

Do we really have to pay them?

"Our first choice would cost too much.

"You think they'll come and do the work 

As good as Such and Such?"


"Oh they'll come if I ask them--

"I'll tell them its a favor.

"I'll tell them that the budget's low,

"There's nothing for their labor.

"But, I'll make it seem like it's a great opportunity

There's no money; 

But I'll say it's a place they'll want to be"


Sometimes, I wonder just how the conversations go

When opportunists go back, and report that "They" said, "No"

"They" will have lost nothing if "They" never leave their door

To come back empty-handed like many times before


"But wait a minute, 

I thought you said that you were friends!"

Sometimes, I wonder 

What message that label "friendship" sends

Do "friends" think they have the right 

To harness what you do,

And use it for their benefit, 

With no return for you?

To make determinations about 

What your time is worth

And expect you to toil 

On their friend's field and turf

Or cop an attitude 

When you have finally had enough

Of always feeling shortchanged 

Doing other people's stuff?


Lately, I'm grateful for how conversations go

"I see the worth in what they do

And I want them to know

That I will spare no expense

Nor will I waste their time

Because I respect their work

As much as I value mine."







 

VRWc2022




No comments:

Post a Comment