'Be anxious for nothing..." ~Philippians 4:6

Saturday, March 19, 2022

QUARANTINE LIFE : POETRY PROMPT: MASKS



“Why do you still have that mask on?”

What sarcastic replies I could give!

Did I miss the memo?

Has Covid been cured?

I try to remain positive


This mask on my face is my business

May I gently direct you to yours?

You see, this horrific pandemic

Isn’t something I’ve dealt with before

All I know is, that millions of people

Are no longer living today

Among them, belligerent loudmouths 

Determined to have their own way


I’m not sure why my mask offends you

How mad are you trying to get?

Note the respect I extend you

But wait— have we even met?

What triggers you to approach strangers?

In what state of denial are you

That you mock a deadly, airborne virus

Its cousins, and variants, too?


Does my mask make you rethink your logic?

Is it really about faith, or God?

Is it YOU who’s secretly frightened?

Is all your bravado a fraud?

Should I take off my mask, will it make you

Feel better about your decision 

To gamble with your well-being 

Or think fabric is causing division?


Could it be an existing condition?

Or a child who cannot be vaxed?

Is it simply consideration?

Did you think before you asked?


It’s as if my masking will hurt you

Or stop you from going your way

Do you know that we’re in a pandemic?

I’m not sure what you want me to say

Pay attention. 

This thing is not over

But here’s what I’m not going to do

Take my mask off while I’m in public

To satisfy bullies like you


Now, I’ll commence minding my business 

Like my Mama taught me to do

I’ve made it this far without COVID

Allergies, cold, or the flu


If masking means thinking of others

Or keeping a virus at bay

It’s the least I can do for my neighbors

I’m sorry--- were you going to say

Something stupid like “Covid is over”?

Or quote what the CDC said?

Have you noticed many are still sickly?

Every day, we’re still mourning the dead


Just because agencies have stopped counting

Or don’t track, or trace as we should 

Doesn’t mean we’re out of the woods yet

If only we’d all understood 

How insane it was to politicize

A health crisis that spawned many fools

Who conflated safety with freedom

And are still flaunting useful tools

Like cleanliness, distancing; masking

How bad does it have to be

Before you stop thinking this mask on MY face

Is hindering YOUR liberty?

And what of MY choice to wear it?

When did your rights supersede mine?

I get that you’re over Miss ‘Rona

But your bullying crosses the line


So why not try keeping your mouth shut?

Assume a good reason exists

For why others choose to keep masking

And not putting their health at risk

How about you just mind your own business 

Stop hassling those who are masked

Lest you find your face covered in Lysol or mace

Before you even ask




#masking

#coronavirus

#COVID19

No comments:

Post a Comment