'Be anxious for nothing..." ~Philippians 4:6

Friday, May 13, 2016

CHICAGO'S FINEST IN THE DMV

I knew where I would be this morning. I figured if I left at 10 or so, I'd get to the mall in time for the grand opening. I LOVE popcorn. I have every since I was a child. My uncle, one of Plaquemine , Louisiana's oldest residents, used to make the most delicious popcorn balls. He would make roasting pans full of popcorn. Sometimes he'd use sugar; other times he'd use pure cane syrup made by the Steen family in Abbeville. I didn't think anything could come close to his recipe. In my life, I've eaten a lot of popcorn. I like Detroit popcorn. State Street popcorn sold at Cracker Barrel is good too, but Garrett's is by far the best popcorn on Earth. I knew it could be shipped in those wonderful, signature tins, but for years I've hoped that someone would open a store in the Washington Metropolitan Area. I believe that the best of the nation should always be readily available in the nation's capital. Today, delighted customers in the DMV welcomed the 50th Garrett's store and the finest popcorn Illinois has to offer.
My niece was sweet enough to go with me to Fashion Center at Pentagon City. We went via Lyft, and entered the mall where lots of construction was taking place. We looked at the mall map, but didn't see Garrett's. We figured the best way to find the new store was to look for a very long line. When we looked down into the food court, it was clear where Garrett's was. We went down the escalator and happily joined the line. It was like joining a band of believers. Everyone was on one accord.
Shoppers walking through the food court stared at the long line, and then asked, "What is it? Are they giving something away? How long have you all been standing here? Either it's free, or it's just that good." The atmosphere was so lovely! Everyone's smiles and patience drew people. They wanted to know what we knew. Many of them joined the line-- that was the length of the food court-- based solely on the recommendations of those who waited. People from Chicago seemed happiest. They'd known for a long time what the rest of us found out about by virtue of flights in and out of O'hare. There was no pushing or shoving; no line jumpers, just hundreds of very happy people united by their love of popcorn. Strangers held conversations and swapped stories. 
It was a lovely morning--and the popcorn was worth the wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment