'Be anxious for nothing..." ~Philippians 4:6

Saturday, March 3, 2018

SATURDAY THOUGHTS: CUSTOMER SERVICE






















The day before my Dad's funeral, my daughter phoned to see if I needed anything. I remembered that I'd left my black crepe coat-dress at her house, and asked her to bring it to me.
 
When she arrived, I realized that I hadn't dreamed or imagined it. I hadn't worn the dress in years, and at some point, I had removed the buttons--and hadn't replaced them.

My daughter phoned the neighborhood cleaners to see if the tailor was still at work. He wasn’t, but she was told there was someone else there who could sew on buttons. She was also told that the cleaners would be closing in a half hour. 
I drove there, and showed the clerk the dress. 
She looked at it, began shaking her head, and abruptly said there was nothing she could do. 
I repeated what my daughter had been told, and wondered what had changed. 
The clerk laughed and said she thought I’d only need a button or two, not seven or eight. 
“Oh, no! This is too much. You need too many buttons. I don’t have anything here that will work. I only have buttons for shirts. Maybe you can go to a fabric store. I think there is one in Waldorf. It's not far. You know Joann Fabric store?…” 

I told her I didn’t have time to go to Waldorf, and didn’t care what the buttons looked like—or if they even matched--as long as they were black. 
“No. I’m sorry. I can’t help you. I don’t have any buttons for this. You need too many.” 

I just stood there. I knew how to sew. I could have done it myself if I had to. I was hoping that she could find a solution, but she insisted I'd have better luck elsewhere.

While she was lamenting all of the reasons why having the buttons sewn on was impossible, another clerk came to the counter, looked at one of the button holes on the dress, walked to a nearby corner of the shop, stopped at an organizer that was mounted to the wall, and began rummaging through small plastic drawers. She pulled out one after another, and began placing black buttons onto a nearby table. 
After she’d finished going through the drawers, she searched small plastic bags, and pulled out more buttons. 

I’d stopped listening to the first clerk, who was still trying to discourage me, and focused on the second clerk who seemed to be determined to find buttons. The second clerk scooped up the buttons she’d found into her hand, turned, and brought them over to show to me. 
“Are these okay, Ma'am? They are plain, but they are black, and will fit.” 

I smiled and thanked her for her effort. “Yes! Those are perfect!” 
She found some black thread and a needle, and began sewing the buttons onto my dress. I thought she would sit down, but she did it while standing.

The first clerk couldn’t quite figure out what to do with her face. It seemed as if she was annoyed that the second clerk’s determination and discovery had nullified everything she’d said. While she hadn’t seemed eager to help, the second clerk was more than willing to do so. 
While she was busy proclaiming what couldn't be done, the second clerk was quietly solving the problem. 
She turned around in circles, made an “Oh well” gesture with her hands, then pointed to a padded bench and said,“Why don’t you sit down? She should be finished in a minute.” 

The second clerk’s hands were moving swiftly as she sewed. She worked so efficiently and intently, and ignored the first clerk’s attempts to look over her shoulder and supervise. When the second clerk finished, she reviewed her work, made sure the buttons and holes lined up, and then hung my dress on a hanger, buttoned it, and asked if I was satisfied. I absolutely was.
I thanked her again, paid for her service and left smiling.
It had taken her less than ten minutes.

I realized it was near closing time. Maybe the first clerk was tired and ready to go home. Maybe the second clerk knew it, and thought customer service was more important.  Whatever the reason, I left feeling encouraged. 

Some people aren’t so quick to deny or disappoint you. They recognize that your needs (and sometimes, wants) matter, and if they can be of service; if they can make your day easier, or just put a smile on your face, they’re willing to oblige. They recognize that there is mutual benefit. They know that there IS something that can be done. Things aren’t impossible; there is time; it’s not a problem, too taxing, or an inconvenience to lend a hand.  

I really appreciate people like that. 😌

No comments:

Post a Comment