'Be anxious for nothing..." ~Philippians 4:6

Tuesday, December 5, 2017

CAREGIVER DIARIES : VICTORIES






Seeing my dad stand again yesterday was a gift. He, his physical therapist, Tammy and I took a moment to celebrate. 
It was good to see him smile, and be proud of his accomplishment. 
He was determined. I'm seeing optimism. The stress and anxiety I'd been feeling has dissipated.

His victory allowed me to put things into perspective, and be even more determined to ignore (and even laugh about) any and everything, (and every person) that seeks to trouble or discourage me. The sight of him standing taller, and for a longer period of time than he did before, was confirmation of a message sent to me by a dear, old friend a few weeks ago:

 "If God agrees, you are doing a courageous job, no matter what. Do not allow yourself to be frustrated or distracted by anything or anyone. Just remember Moses was successful every single time he went to tell Pharaoh let the Israelites go. What was it, about 10 times? It did not matter what Pharaoh did or did not do. Moses was obedient to God's instructions and was therefore successful. Just obey what you are told to do. No more. No less".

I read it every day and smile.

I've seen my Dad get outstanding care in the past several months. Strangers have been committed to his well-being as if he was their own parent. Work has been done to save his life. Decisions, sacrifices, and plans have been made, and goals have been set to help him continue to thrive. I experienced a team effort when he was in the hospital that was all about him, and to see him stand, and reach 98% on the onmicycle today was nothing short of a miracle.

He's been through a lot, still has an unfamiliar road ahead of him, many new concepts to learn, and some things to unlearn, but the progress he has made, at his age, is remarkable.

No comments:

Post a Comment