'Be anxious for nothing..." ~Philippians 4:6

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

GUMBO

I spent part of the day looking at photos from Thanksgivings past. My Mom was the holiday bunny and I really miss her, especially on days like today. It was helpful to look at the photos from Upsal Street, and read the recipes she'd written. Right now she'd be cleaning greens, or making dressing, or macaroni and cheese, or peeling sweet potatoes---or all of the above. Special pots and plates and platters would be out. She was so organized, and clean about it all, too. "If you clean as you go, you'll have less to do when you're done."
Thanksgiving Day was a two-parter. Start with gumbo, then the turkey dinner. It just wouldn't be Thanksgiving without gumbo, and we're going to make some.
I had a great conversation with my big sister this morning. She shared her gumbo tips, and I listened attentively, writing down everything she said. "Don't burn the rue.", "Use the powders--onion, garlic."; "A whole cut up chicken will do."; "Add a hot smoked sausage--not the red hot kind."
This is going to be good.
Thanks Mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment