'Be anxious for nothing..." ~Philippians 4:6

Thursday, November 17, 2011

FAMILY TIME



The scene was beautiful, and diverse. Evergreen tree, dying, reddish-gold leaves, sunshine, and icy dew on the ground. It was so peaceful, too. I'm glad I decided to go on the impromptu weekend road trip to Williamsburg. I still didn't finish reading "The Help", like I'd planned, but I spent some quality time with my little nephew, whom I adore. For some reason he thinks I'm a good playmate. Bless his little heart. He thinks I'm fast and agile. "Nessa! Let's play baseball!" So we played baseball with a neck roll pillow and a some tightly balled up paper towels. He enjoyed running around the room to the imaginary bases and I always called "Safe!" when he slid into the imaginary home plate. He knows his shapes, colors and numbers. He can read and spell a little, too. He pointed out geometric shapes and colors around the room and challenged me to do the same. We watched umteen episodes of "Thomas the Tank Engine" on Youtube, drew pictures, danced, and sang (and he can really sing!). Yeah. I was exhausted, but it was worth every minute of hearing his infectious, hearty laugh. It had been a long time since I heard my name being yelled first thing in the morning by a wee voice. When he was up, it just meant one thing. Get up, too. It's time to play. He has so much energy!

It's nice when a little kid wants to be bothered with you. They grow up so quickly. Let the children in your life know they're loved, keep them safe, and take advantage of teachable moments. Learning doesn't have to wait until they cross the threshold of a classroom..: )

No comments:

Post a Comment