'Be anxious for nothing..." ~Philippians 4:6

Friday, November 18, 2011

SEASONED ARTISTS





Ever since our first meeting in September, I've looked forward to working with the delightful artists at Congress Heights Senior Wellness Center. I admit it. I missed teaching, and was happy for the opportunity even though it was presented as a temporary one.

There's a certain satisfaction in teaching people who actually want to learn, and are respectful and polite. It certainly helps not having to stop every ten minutes to address a behavioral problem, threaten to phone a parent, or take a trip to the principal's office! 
The seniors so attentive, and eager to try new materials. They're awfully wise, gracious, and witty, too. I learn so much from them. There was something special about being in a place that is just a little more than a city block from the house where I grew up. It's nice to have some way to give back in your own neighborhood. It's also nice to be referred to as "just a kid", or "still a baby". That really cracks me up as I see my shiny new AARP card that arrived the other day, and near my 51st birthday.

It's great that the seniors have a place to go that is uniquely theirs--a place that caters to their physical, spiritual, mental, educational, and social well being. Listening them speak with pride about their youth, former vocations, their children and grandchildren, and their current plans, is like experiencing a live documentary. These are the stories that young people should hear. The stories of people whose beliefs and values are part of the reason they're still here today.
I always lose track of time when I work with them. It's good to watch them as they create. They share, and compliment each other. They laugh, reminisce, and even sing. They have the capacity to see beauty all around them. They're honest and refreshing. They don't think there's an age limit on expressing themselves artistically. I love that. They definitely epitomize the challenge to never put down one's crayons.
None of them had ever used oil pastels before. I couldn't tell.
They've told me how much they appreciate me for coming to work with them. 
I honestly think I'm the fortunate one...: )

1 comment:

  1. "Local art is, undoubtedly, the most rewarding of mementos and a fantastic way to ensure, not only the economic benefit of the host communities, but their empowerment and self-confidence." ~Maria Barquero

    ReplyDelete