'Be anxious for nothing..." ~Philippians 4:6

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

THE SKY ALONE












I just aimed the cell phone camera toward the car window yesterday afternoon. My daughter and I decided to run a few errands, and headed down 295 South to Fort Washington. The last time we'd been on this route we saw a huge bird carrying a fairly large fish in its talons. We'd also seen a family of deer running into a wooded area. I admit I was hoping to see something as stunning again. Yesterday, the sky, alone, was magnificent. I should have let down the window, but it was pretty cold. Talk of snow promoted the errands. Although the snow never came, we did feel a certain sense of accomplishment.
Today, the snow has started and stopped, displaying big flakes and flurries, as if passing clouds are dusting our patch of the Earth and waving hello as they go to pay a longer visit to some other town. It's like a tease. Perhaps it's just mercy, considering the record snowfall of 2010. Are we ready this time if it happens again? The tell tale green streak is in the street again testifying that a salt truck or two has been here. The gas tank is full, there's, among other food stuffs, ice cream. popcorn, old school candy (aka Lemonhead), and hot chocolate in the kitchen, and toilet tissue, candles, batteries and paper towels in the linen closet. We're ready.
Winter isn't my favorite, but there's beauty to be found in so many things. I think I'll just stay warm and appreciate a roof over my head. When I do look outside, though, it really is beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment