'Be anxious for nothing..." ~Philippians 4:6

Sunday, January 16, 2011

SUNDAY THOUGHTS: LANDSLIDE














Today's unplanned alarm was the sound of a car horn, blown incessantly by someone who was either running late, very impatient, without their cell phone, or laboring under the misapprehension that the glass in the windows of my neighborhood are made of some soundproof, space age material.

Between the horn and the huge crows, camped out in the tree outside the window on the left side of my bed, there was no resuming my dream--which I am now having difficulty remembering.

I woke up and decided I'd stay inside today. No plans, no urgent things to do, nowhere to go, although I do have options. 
I'm not tired or feeling poorly, just enjoying what's left of the quiet as cars go by. 
I even stared out of the window and admired the sky. That's right. Just because I could...and I'm grateful.

It's after 11:00 and I haven't eaten anything. No. I'm not fasting, just deciding
I have options with regard to food as well--and for that, too, I'm grateful.

Somehow between checking snail mail, that I hadn't opened, phone messages, email, and the like, I stumbled upon a lovely song. I learned that the musician is Reykjavik, Iceland's Sindri Már Sigfusson of the band "Seabear". He goes by the name Sin Fang, and has covered a "Fleetwood Mac" song, titled "Landslide".

I thought about the word "landslide", and how it can be a good thing to a person who's campaigned for a political office, but a bad thing to people whether they're living high on a hill, or low in a valley. 

Some things happen because they're supposed to; because the conditions that exist are right. 
Other things are HELPED to occur on purpose, or out of negligence or ignorance. 
Extenuating circumstances factor in, and if one is not watchful and careful, one can find oneself completely overwhelmed, shifted, inundated, in a different state or position altogether--wondering how in the world to get out. 

Sometimes it's good to just be still and evaluate what's going on around you. Being busy for busyness sake can leave what should be important things, like self, home, and family undone, unstable, and vulnerable.

"Landslide". 
I think it's a nice addition to a reflective, peaceful, winter's day.


No comments:

Post a Comment