'Be anxious for nothing..." ~Philippians 4:6

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

POETRY PROMPT: SPEAK

Every teacher I had said, "Think before you speak."
Write only about what you know
Now I wonder--
If I just start talking or writing
Whose friend won't I be any more?

You don't have to say all that pops into your head
You don't have to write down every thought
There is such a thing as discretion, and
Some sacred things
Should just stay as they ought

What have we become?
Are we really communicating?
Are we friendly and sweet,
Or cowardly and mean?

I want to hear a voice
I want to look into eyes
I want to touch, and feel--
Not always have to guess what you mean when you write
I don't want to see a colon and parentheses
I want to see your real smile

There's really nothing like human interaction
There's so much that you, too, can convey
Have abbreviations, emoticons, and our new gadgets
Left us scrambling for real words to say?

Every teacher I had said "Think before you speak."
Now I'm speaking
I hope that today
We'll all take a little time from the keyboard
And greet a loved one face to face


VRWc2010

No comments:

Post a Comment