'Be anxious for nothing..." ~Philippians 4:6

Saturday, June 5, 2010

DAY ONE :CHICAGO


As I reached into my bag to get the umbrella "something" told me to take along, the first line of The Emotions' hit song just seemed so fitting: "Doesn't take much to make me happy..."
I'm in Chicago with members of my "Vision" family. We're here for the Chicago Gospelfest. We've traveled a great deal over the last 15 or so years, and we have some great stories to tell. This trip just seems to be on the really smooth sailing list already. No traffic on the way to the airport. No delays. No cancellations. No one missed the flight. Even the brief bout of turbulence didn't bother me. The flight attendants managed to serve a beverage to everyone and I got my customary tomato juice that I only seem to want when I'm aboard a plane. There was a nice article about Betty White in the seat pocket magazine. The episode of "Two and a Half Men" where Charlie and Alan had a falling out over an ugly bowl, was hilarious...Our female pilot put the plane down very nicely...
We got off of the plane. God Bless Chicago O'Hare. I looked to my left and there was Garrett's Popcorn. I've been talking about it for a week--maybe longer. I told myself I wasn't leaving Chicago without some. Before I even went to baggage claim, I bought a small bag of cheese and a large bag of caramel. I guess the Garrett's employees were used to seeing people smiling as they approached. A nice young lady named Jackie packaged my popcorn so nicely. Stephanie said I was swinging my blue and gold Garrett's bag like an Easter basket...
I was smiling like I'd won the lottery. We got to baggage claim carousel 12 and I saw my bag on the conveyor. The drivers were on time. The ride to the Hard Rock hotel was pleasant. The keys and rooms were ready when we arrived. The hotel is lovely. I'm facing a mirror- with Bono rocking out silk screened on the surface, and Bob Dylan's jeans and guitar are preserved in a glass case in the hallway. I'm rooming with my best friend. The beds look very comfy. There's a Keurig coffee maker and Newman's Own organic coffee. I'm happy and I don't even drink coffee like that.

When I attempted to log on to my computer earlier, I couldn't. After a few unsuccessful tries, the hotel clerk apologized and gave me a passcode which affords me 6 days of free internet-- and I'm only going to be here three...

Not long after arriving to my room, a call came. "Wanna go and get something to eat? We're going to The Grand Lux Cafe". What? That's the other place I said I wanted to go. Off we went walking through the streets of Chicago as if we lived here. There's music and dancing in the streets. Every block, someone is handing out a flier for some event or sale or other. Every store window seemed to hold something that made you want to get a closer look...
Our wait seemed non-existent. Almost as soon as we arrived, we were whisked upstairs past the swirling wall designs, to out table. We had the best waiter. He seemed to know everything, and my petite filet was well done, and just right. I love salad and the garden salad's roasted tomato vinegarette was delicious. I didn't care about dessert, but the red velvet cake and fresh baked cookies that friends ordered looked delicious. I was happy. I had my Garrett's....but, it seemed that others wanted Garrett's, too. Our waiter told us that there was a new one not 2 minutes away, and after our meal, off we went. We could smell the caramel a half a block away...

As we walked back I could feel a little drizzle. I pulled out the little red umbrella. There were very pretty things in the window at Ann Taylor, and other stores we passed. I thought I'd wanted to stop in the Kenneth Cole Store, or even Walgreen's, but we decided to just keep walking. I felt happy. I can't really explain it. Just as we got to the hotel door, the rain began to fall a little harder. Perfect timing.
We have a free evening. Nowhere to rush to. No hurry up and wait. No hair to do, no faces to beat, no feet flung up in fabulous heels. Just leisure time to do whatever we like. Homebody me, has settled in to the room. Whatever I may need, however, is within walking distance. I think Aveda's Rosemary mint line is going to be a new favorite.
We're scheduled to sing tomorrow evening. Today, though, has been absolutely lovely...: )
Lord, You rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment