'Be anxious for nothing..." ~Philippians 4:6

Monday, September 11, 2023

QUARANTINE LIFE: MEMORIES


On this day, twenty-two 
years ago, I was teaching my first Art class of the day at Patricia Roberts Harris Educational Center. 

Harris was an "open space" school. There were no windows, and most classrooms didn't have doors, so the sudden commotion wasn’t hard to hear. 

I was so surprised and happy to see my friends Freddye Jackson and Mia Murphy, standing at the entrance to my classroom, but their faces weren't showing the usual cheer. "We came to get you.", they whispered. You have to get out of here!" 

As I was talking to them, a co-worker took advantage of the morning's chaos, and lined up her entire class--my second period class-- right outside of my classroom. "My planning period is coming up" she said as she hurried for the exit door. She had her coat and purse. I knew what that meant. I would have two classes on my hands. 

I told Freddye and Mia to come in and find seats wherever they could, but most of the children didn't stay long. Over and over, Yvonne Sherrod’s weary voice could be heard over the PA system. “Please pardon the interruption. ___________, please report to the main office prepared to go home." 

Most frantic parents, however,  didn't bother stopping by the office, and just rushed to classrooms and pods to get their children. Many zoomed by my classroom not knowing their children weren't in their homerooms, but in Art class. 
"Ms. Williams, that was my mother!", many shouted, and I allowed them to chase after their parents to keep them from heading all the way from Pod A to C.

With no radios or TV’s on, the faculty and staff had no idea what had taken place in New York, let alone Pennsylvania or Arlington. The first rumor I heard from a parent was that The Capitol had been bombed. 

I knew I couldn't leave the kids. I told them they could talk among themselves, draw, or paint whatever they wanted, and use as much of the materials as they wished. 

While they worked, Mia and Freddye filled me in on what had really happened.

Eventually, the number of kids in the room dwindled. Some, whose parents who worked in Virginia, would not be picked up right away. 
One of the children drew a beautiful angel. When her Mom arrived, she handed me her drawing and asked if I’d hang it up. 

Freddye and Mia eventually left, too-- to get food for everyone. They came back, and stayed in my classroom helping me to keep the children calm until the last child's parent arrived. 
It was after 4 PM. 

Even though I lived within walking distance of the school, my friends drove me home.

At home, I was glued to the television. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. I was glad that school was closed the following day, because I didn’t sleep that night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment