'Be anxious for nothing..." ~Philippians 4:6

Friday, October 29, 2021

QUARANTINE LIFE: CUSTOMER SERVICE

I’m usually pleased with Amazon Fresh. Throughout the pandemic, everything from its selection to delivery has been great. At the beginning of the pandemic, cold items were practically swaddled in special silver thermal bags, detergents and produce were in double plastic bags, pleated papers and perforated cardboard cradled eggs, and everything was securely sealed in sturdy brown paper bags lined at the bottom with thick, corrugated cardboard. (I stopped purchasing ice cream, however, because it would always arrive melted. As tempting as it would be to polish off a pint of butter pecan, or three Hagen Daz chocolate and almond coated vanilla ice cream bars, that just wouldn’t be prudent.

Lately, things have been good, (my art supplies arrived early) but I’m not noticing the extra, extra care with food stuffs that I experienced before. I laughed and wondered if it’s a sign for me to mask up, glove up, and finally end my moratorium on going to the grocery store myself. I am curious how the experience has changed since I last entered one in 2020.

It was raining heavily this morning, so I assumed that was the reason for the damp bags. One was particularly saturated, though—and sticky. In spite of being inside a plastic bag, the dish detergent decided that everything joining it inside the bag needed to be pre-washed. It was a mess.

I’d placed the order late last night in anticipation of today’s storm. The way that local meteorologists were forecasting, it seemed as if today would be a good day to hunker down. They were right. 

Wouldn’t you know it that the comfort goodies were in the bag with the dish detergent. The salad greens were safe. The SOS pads and body wash emerged unscathed, too. Ferrara Pan, however, should really consider packaging the lemony goodness that is my old school favorite candy, in hermetically sealed cellophane. That cardboard theater box was no match for the Ajax. That’s what I get for not choosing Dawn. I had a hankering for some Ritz crackers. That box didn’t survive either. I’m glad the soup and Bubly water were in cans. They were clean, though.

After salvaging what I could, and discarding the items that didn’t make it, I requested a call from Amazon. Steven (or was it Kevin?) and Tasha were very helpful, and went above and beyond my expectations by issuing a full refund. 

I remember the time when I wouldn’t have complained at all— and smiled.

Now my hands smell like lemons, and the kitchen sink is sparkling. 😂














No comments:

Post a Comment