'Be anxious for nothing..." ~Philippians 4:6

Saturday, February 25, 2012

SATURDAY THOUGHTS: START...PROGRAMS...ACCESSORIES...PAINT!


I found a print of one of the first drawings I ever created using the "paint" accessory on my PC. It occurred to me that I once thought I would never use a computer to create art.
I use my computer almost every day, now. 

I remember when I had no interest in computers whatsoever--especially where Art was concerned. I admit, I had a bit of a phobia about technology that matched my once intense dislike of Mathematics. Necessity demanded that I get over it all.

In the 80's, when I was a student at Howard University, a classmate, Roslyn Bright, enthusiastically asked me to consider enrolling in computer graphics courses. I declined, and continued to do things the hard way (out of some weird sense of loyalty to things like crayons, paint, pencils and paper). A part of me felt as if it was cheating to manipulate a machine to do what I'd always happily done by hand.

I embraced computer technology reluctantly, and recall the day I wished I'd taken Roslyn's advice. In the late 80's, I knew it would only be a matter of time before computers would be landing in my Art classroom. As a result of a school system directive in the early 90's the PC's arrived. All teachers were be required to enroll in a mandatory computer literacy course. 

I was reminded of the time I was assigned to substitute teach a Computer Science class in 1986. I didn't dare tell the children that I didn't even know how to turn on the machines. 
By the end of the day, it was clear that the students had been teaching me.
When my older sister purchased a new desktop computer, she sang its praises in her very left-brained way, and allowed me to try my hand at it. Through trial and error, and assured that I wouldn't break anything, I stumbled upon an accessory labeled "Paint". 
When I discovered that I could manipulate the mouse and draw, I was hooked instantly, and really didn't care what else the computer could do. I was fascinated by the tools that eliminated the messiness of actual art media. 
I remember my first drawing and wish I could find a print of it. 
 It amazes me how my images have transformed from safe and linear to detailed, colorful and textured. 

I wish I had a nickel for every time someone has suggested "You need a MAC". Perhaps I might have more options, but PAINT has been faithful. It's helped me create images, and enhance the JPEG files of traditionally rendered drawings and paintings that I've either sold or lost. 

I no longer feel the sense of betrayal I used to when I opted to choose my computer over paper, canvas, pencils, pens, acrylics and brushes. 
From my first use of the desktop mouse years ago, to my current use of the touchpad of my laptop, I know it's just another creative option--an option I really do enjoy. It's like finger painting.

Now, if I could only perfect my PAINT penmanship when I'm trying to sign my work. 
I know. 
There's probably a tool for that...: )

2 comments:

  1. Vanessa, I just stumbled onto your blog and have enjoyed the different posts. Have you considered publishing a catalog of your artwork? I'm a quilter and will soon launch a project to share how quilters can self-publish their own quilt catalog. Hope you'll visit.

    Best, Kyra
    http://publishyourquilts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete