'Be anxious for nothing..." ~Philippians 4:6

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

OH, HAPPY DAY

I love singing background vocals. 
I could literally remain in a studio all day if all I had to do was sing and stack vocals, and challenge myself to match the last phrase, word, or sound.
 
Pianist, Kim Jordan, (Detroit native, DMV favorite, worship leader, and former Gil Scott-Heron musical director) recently gave me an opportunity to "play" at her home studio. 
She's working on her new project, and the first release is a nice, new twist on a song I honestly don't think anyone in the world doesn't know. 
No matter who you are, it seems that if you travel overseas to perform gospel music, "Oh, Happy Day" had better be in your repertoire. 

I will never forget the group of well-dressed, briefcase-toting Italian businessmen who approached members of "Vision" as we relaxed in the lobby of our hotel in Terni, Italy. They knew we were in town for the Umbria Gospel and Soul Festival, and although we may not have understood much of what they said, we DID understand when they insisted we sing "Oh Happy Day" right there in the lobby. 
The sight of those men smiling, dancing, clapping, and singing in their elegant suits was a delightful sight to behold.

I really appreciate Kim for the chance to sing a song I love and "be the choir". 
Steven Ford refers to the vocal parts as "Your sisters" any time I record with him. 
Vince Evans calls them "those other girls"...lol

Everybody knows that I prefer singing alto, but I had the best time reaching for those soprano notes for Kim's project. 

I've never had voice lessons, but I'm so grateful for the ability to hear. That's why I’m so convinced that there’s so much to learn about Music if you’re a part of an aggregation with good, competent leadership. 
Don't ever sleep on your church choir, no matter how humble it may be. 
I attribute my ability to hear all of the vocal parts to singing in church choirs, and listening intently to R&B records when I was younger.

If, at rehearsal, there was a part missing, or a section was short of members, someone had to fill in. 
When it came to my favorite songs on 45's, I didn't listen much to the leads, but the background vocals always fascinated me. 
I always wanted to find MY part and sing along with them. 
To me, there's nothing like harmony. When it's tight and right, it rings.

Kim's uplifting take on "Oh, Happy Day" is available to download at Amazon Music

You can also listen at YouTube.

1 comment:

  1. Listen. "Oh Happy Day" https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kim-Jordan/242380482488215?sk=app_178091127385

    ReplyDelete