'Be anxious for nothing..." ~Philippians 4:6

Saturday, December 4, 2010

LESSONS FROM A GNAT

It's cold outside, and I was kind of rooting for the little gnat--until it began to repeatedly try and see just how close to my eyeball it could get. 
It's a pest. 
Why was I surprised that it kept flying so close to my face? 
It seemed to be taunting me every time I swatted, as if it was a giant condor. Then, it had the nerve to walk across the computer screen. Maybe it was the light that it needed. All it managed to do was further annoy me.
 
The gnat managed to make it indoors, somehow. Instead of appreciating the warmth and finding a nice spot of it's own, it decided it wanted to be wherever I was. It completely broke the rules regarding personal space. 
I tried to give it a chance, but it couldn't stop being what it was. Maybe it wasn't trying to get on my nerves. Maybe it was playing some kind of gnat game that I'm not familiar with. Whatever it's intentions were, it was going about them in all the wrong ways. 

It had to go. It's a gnat. Anything can take it out. Water, spritz, Windex. The envelope from the AT&T bill worked just fine.

Now what have we learned?

1.There's a subtle way to make one's presence known.

2. Every warm place is not a safe place.

3. When people don't want to be bothered, leave them alone.

4. Your idea of fun may be a headache for someone else.

5. Boundaries are a good thing, sometimes.

6. Uninvited access is not a gain.

7. Harm doesn't have to be intended for harm to be felt.

8. Being intrusive and annoying can be repelling--even fatal.

1 comment:

  1. Love this Vanessa. I love the fact that we can learn valuable life lessons out of the most random scenarios of life. I was once told the best things in life are free. Thanks for sharing the wisdom. :-)

    ReplyDelete