'Be anxious for nothing..." ~Philippians 4:6

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

TUESDAY THOUGHTS: WHOSE HOUSE IS IT, ANYWAY?


When I walk into my home, there are things that I'll notice immediately if they're not quite right. 
A crooked picture. 
A plant that needs watering. A dripping faucet. 
An open window. 
I'll know if my daughter is at home or not. 
Lights will be on. 
A television may be on, or she may be reading, or talking on the phone. 
I may smell what I cooked before I left, something new cooking, or the remnants of whatever she may have cooked, or picked up from a restaurant on her way home. 
Most times she will bring something for me. Sometimes, she will rightly assume that I have already eaten. Other times, I will come in with something for her, and we will laugh and decide that whatever it is will be the next day's meal. 

When I walk into my house, there are things I expect to see. 
I'll know if things have been rearranged. 
I’ll know if there has been an accident. 
I'll know if something is missing or broken. 
I'll know if I forgot to take the trash out to the dumpster, or if something in the refrigerator has passed its expiration date. 

When I walk into my home I expect certain things.

My Mom instilled in me a love of cleanliness and neatness. She said that if a thing is supposed to be white, it should be white. 
If it is supposed to shine, keep it shining. 
Like Mommy, I realize that here are some things that I demand in my home that are not negotiable. 
Peace is among the most important. 
I detest unnecessary noise. Smoking is prohibited. 
I hate arguments and fighting. 
I remember telling my daughter once, that no matter what was going on outside, we would have peace in our home. 
Even between us, there would be no strife. 

When I come into my home I want things to be as I enjoy them. No one will come into my home and do anything that I wouldn't do. No one will disrespect my home. No one will hang, display, spray, or leave anything of which I do not approve. 
I care about what goes on in my house. 
No one can come in and treat it in a manner that is not acceptable to me. 
It's ever so humble, but it's my house. It's my home. 
It has a purpose. 
It reflects my daughter and me. 
It will not be used for anything other than that for which it is intended. 

There are laws against me using my home for anything else other than a dwelling place. 

If I have such an extensive, concrete list of do's and don'ts for my house, why would I, then, mistreat, debase, trivialize, ignore, or disrespect the House of God? Yes, God is omnipresent. No he is not tucked away in our handmade boxes, but doesn't the house of worship have standards, too?

How seriously do we approach worship, and our roles in the House of God? How much of what we do is out of order, unnecessary, silly, frivolous, inappropriate, self-serving or just plain wrong? 
Are we engaged in activity that God has not commanded? 
Is what we do for our own gratification and benefit, or to the glory of God? 
Is there a way to assess whether our activity is in line with what God wants to take place in His house? Are the houses that bear his name in varying, creative, and sometimes absurd and silly ways, even his houses at all? 
Is he even welcome?

In the Old Testament, Nadab and Abihu, Aaron's sons, the nephews of Moses and Miriam, probably meant no harm, but their actions still cost them their lives. 
We can’t dwell upon, mourn or justify wrongdoing. 
If you have believed not just ABOUT Jesus, but IN Jesus, then staying near to him, and learning of him, and adhering to his teaching is so important. We can’t ever find ourselves carried away because of disobedience and ignorance, or careless because of a lack of respect. 
We can’t ignore the consequences of someone else's antics, and assume that they won’t happen again, or happen to US if we engage in unwise endeavors and practices. 

Experience is a good teacher, but the experiences of someone else are master instructors. It's always wise to remember where we are, and know what behavior is expected, authorized and acceptable. We just might want to return there one day.

There are times when the Bible screams loudly that it is not just a collection of nice stories, but a priceless blueprint for life. Obedience is not an option. Reverence for God and the things of God is not an option. After all, the Earth is his, and everything that is in, and upon it. I suppose that means that we should be mindful of our deportment no matter where we happen to be. 

God walks among us, but what is he stepping in as he walks? Has a way been prepared for the Lord in our lives, and the things we do in His name? 
What is he smelling and seeing? 
Do we care about the poop we drop that we think is wonderful?
Are we serious about the presence of God? 
What are we leaving around for a holy God to trample through? 
Is much of what we do only worthy to be scraped off of the Lord’s feet? Would we want it on our own? 

Do we care what the Lord experiences in the places we call his?

No comments:

Post a Comment