'Be anxious for nothing..." ~Philippians 4:6

Friday, April 30, 2010

FRIDAY THOUGHTS: I'M JUST A LUCKY SO-AND-SO


Last night I had the privilege of experiencing Arena Stage's production of "Duke Ellington's Sophisticated Ladies" at The Lincoln Theater. 

There are times when your ability to control yourself, your sense of decorum, and proper behavior are so vital
If I'd had even the slightest aggressive bone in my body I would have walked down the aisle and asked for a microphone. The production literally made me want to sing!
The sets and costumes were superb, as was the band. 

I do so love the music of Duke Ellington, and the night was chock full of it. 

Maurice Hines, remarkably fit and agile in his 60's, even choreographed a dance for President Obama. 
I'd love to be a fly on the wall when the POTUS dons those shoes, and cuts that step as a way of shaking off "those pesky Republicans"...lol

As delightful as the whole production was, I was most impressed, however, with the Manzani brothers- John and Leo.
It is always lovely to meet polite, focused, intelligent young people. Their performance with Mr. Hines was the highlight of the show for me. 
I'm so glad that the Washington Post gave these talented young men space in today's news. So often the media flocks to report about tragedies and senseless foolishness wrought by DC youth. Clearly every young man in the city is not an indifferent, disrespectful, foul-mouthed, school-ditching, underwear-revealing, criminal-in-training with a death wish, and aspirations to further poison and populate their neighborhoods, or occupy a jail cell. 

Mr. Hines spoke so highly of the brothers, during the chat following the performance. Their mom was acknowledged as well. I can't say it enough. Good, positive home training is crucial.

It was also nice to meet fellow Howard University alum Marva Hicks, and actress Suzzanne Douglas at the Delta Research and Education Foundation reception following the cast chat.
(The shrimp wasn't bad, either.)

I'm feeling especially grateful today. I've experienced wonderful unexpected opportunities lately that have been most enjoyable...: )

No comments:

Post a Comment