'Be anxious for nothing..." ~Philippians 4:6

Friday, April 2, 2010

FRIDAY THOUGHTS: GOOD NEWS


Today is Good Friday. 
As a child, the only thing good about it, was either being on Easter break from school, or preparing for it--depending upon what schedule the school system decided to follow. 
This was the season of unlimited chocolate, arts and crafts, lilies blooming, eggs boiling, new expertly handmade dresses and coats, white shoes, fancy tights, fancy hairdos and hats, and pretty matching ribbons and gloves. 
Easter season was a season of calm and beauty. 
Even Jesus was beautifully serene as he seemed to be lounging on the cross in all of the paintings I saw. 
There was no sorrow, grief or pain. 
There was no bloody scene. Everything was shiny and new. 
Good Friday was all good.

As I got older, I found out that the "good" thing about Good Friday was one of the most ironic things in life. The good news was that an innocent man was hated, targeted, framed, tortured and murdered. 
It still doesn't make sense. The urgency to get new clothes and shoes didn't seem so important any longer. 

Years ago, as a new teacher, I asked several students about the significance of Easter. The answers I got were humorous, but sad. Very few mentioned Jesus at all. 
Shopping and candy topped the responses. 
One child even said "It's the Easter Bunny's birthday!" 
I wasn't surprised. 

What we place emphasis upon, is what will stick. Children learn what they live and repeat what they hear. 
I was certainly no stranger to Sunday School or Bible Stories, but the significance, magnitude and implications for my life of the crucifixion of Jesus didn't really sink in until life happened. 
The Bible stories aren't just exciting stories any more. They're nourishment.

I'm still trying to comprehend the magnitude of "so". 
I was “so loved”, that my freedom was secured; 
so loved that my place in eternity is secured; 
so loved before I even had an inkling what Love was--or life, for that matter. 
A tremendous sacrifice was made just for me, which taught me the ultimate lesson in obedience and trust. 
Today I am saved by grace through faith in the living Jesus Christ. 
How wonderful it is to have someone vouching for you and defending you each and every day. 
I am thankful and grateful beyond my own comprehension for what God has done. 
The good news of the Gospel is that someone died. The better news is that he lives, and for that, I can commemorate this day with joy and hope. 

Jesus had so many options he could have chosen. 
He chose to obey. 
I can say with assurance, had it been up to me, another way would have to had been found. 
Set ups, accusations, slander, beatings, lies, mocking, abandonment, betrayal--who volunteers for that? 
Who accepts that kind of assignment?
Thank You, Jesus.

ISAIAH 53

1Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the LORD revealed?

2For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.

3He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

4Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.

5But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

6All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.

7He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.

8He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken.

9And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth.

10Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand.

11He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities.

12Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.


MATTHEW 26:52-54

52Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword.

53Thinkest thou that I cannot now pray to my Father, and he shall presently give me more than twelve legions of angels?

54But how then shall the scriptures be fulfilled, that thus it must be?

No comments:

Post a Comment