'Be anxious for nothing..." ~Philippians 4:6

Friday, April 19, 2024

FRIDAY THOUGHTS: POETRY PROMPT


RELEVANCE 

If I can have the masters

The builders; the creators

Why would I settle

For mediocre copycats

Why would I do that?

Why fawn over a forgery

Dismiss originality 

When I could have the very ones

Who made the lines and textures I can feel?


If I can see the faces

Experience the traces

Of the lush colors that still remain

The soul that lives, and is ingrained 

In every sound and each refrain

In spite of passing time

Why wouldn't I want

What the discerning know is genuine?

The beauty and the joy remains 

It’s quite sublime


But who decides what’s relevant, or no?

Who decides to cast away

What’s still worthy of note, or praise?

Why search the world over

Why trip, and fall, and stumble

Reaching over what is at my feet

Pretending that it’s hard to see

For something over there 

That’s lacking all that made a thing

The satisfying treasure that we share?

Why would I do it?

Why do we?


Did we not know?

Who did we ask?

Just how important 

Is the task?

Is there no one 

Right here among us

Who knows quite well

The path before us?

Why do we go out of our way

To cast aside, ignore—erase

What’s clearly still alive

What’s willing to oblige

What’s still as strong today

As it was yesterday

Is it really out of reach

Or is it immaturity

Envy, sabotage

Or deceit that seeks to hide, and dim

And keep what's still good locked away?

Is ignorance the dreaded thing

That leads to doing everything

Except to simply ask?

No comments:

Post a Comment