'Be anxious for nothing..." ~Philippians 4:6

Tuesday, July 7, 2015

CAREGIVER DIARIES

This morning, my Dad told me he thanked God for me as he prayed. "I really appreciate you". They were simple words but meant a great deal. There are things that one does, not because one has to, but because one can; because whatever it needed is the right thing to do. Care giving presents challenges, but it's your own attitude that demands adjusting each day. Too often, the biggest headache in the life of a caregiver has nothing to do with the illness. It's meddling, instigating micro-managers that can wreck a day. You have to be determined not to let them. Take your power back. Know why you do what you do. People can try to make you anxious. They don't have to succeed.

A little before lunch, the phone rang. Another of a string of nosy individuals phoned to interrogate. There was a time when I would have been bothered. Today, I just shrugged it off. Only an idiot--some new kind of idiot--or someone who has benefited from a person's  vulnerability, suffering or lack, would ask them if they regret having the help they need.
My Auntee Marion was right. "Some people are just messy, Baby, but you can't pay them no mind".
Stay focused, caregivers...: )

No comments:

Post a Comment