'Be anxious for nothing..." ~Philippians 4:6

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

SO LONG, ANDY...



When I was a little girl, "The Andy Griffith Show" faithfully followed "I Love Lucy" in the daily morning programming. It was a favorite then, and still is. 
I own a copy of  "The Andy Griffith Show Book". I own the show's episodes on VHS and DVD. 
I think it, and other shows produced for television in the late 50's and 60's are leaps and bounds better than some of the comedic fare on television today. The writing and improvisation on the Andy Griffith Show was excellent. 
Props, and some dialogue remind you it wasn't filmed yesterday, but the content isn’t dated. It's not corny or painful to watch. The laughs are guaranteed--just as hearty as the first time--and sometimes, you just need a good laugh.

I saw the headline today and was saddened. I didn't know Mr. Griffith. Never met him, but it sure did seem as if he was an old friend, or everybody's play uncle or grandfather--the kind you wish would always be around spewing wisdom, righting wrongs, teaching values, being an example, quashing drama, keeping order, breaking into song, and spreading kindness. 

Technology is making sure we won't forget him. For his family and friends, however, it's a different situation altogether, and my heart goes out to them.

A friend was so glad there was someone else who felt the way she did. "I thought I was the only one. I mean, he's been a part of the fabric of our lives for such a long time." 

My daughter, who inherited my love of all things Mayberry sent me a message when she found out Mr. Griffith passed away. 
"This one hurts a little", she wrote. 
It really did.

There's something about the people, places and things of one's childhood--the pleasant ones--that continue to bring joy, long after one can't honestly claim any part of youth.

So long, Andy. 
Thanks for Mayberry (and Matlock, too).

No comments:

Post a Comment