'Be anxious for nothing..." ~Philippians 4:6

Monday, July 23, 2012

MONDAY THOUGHTS: EATS

I woke up wanting pancakes for breakfast. There was milk, butter, shortening, organic flour, sugar, baking powder, syrup, but not a single egg with which to bind it all. 

I have no idea what made me pick up the bottle of mayonnaise. I've never done it before, but I substituted the mayo for the missing egg. Surely it would work, right? 

They looked fine--like they'd be quite tasty, actually. Let's just say I ate the pancakes. 

They weren't what I'd had a taste for, but they were edible. 
I think it's safe to say I won't be doing that again. 

When you're hungry and too lazy to go out, it's amazing what you'll come up with. 
It was going to be a stone soup kind of day. You know—the fable about the hungry traveler who challenged an old woman to look deeper into her cupboards and find that she really did have food. It may not have been what she wanted, but what she had definitely made a meal. 
In the spirit of hunting around for what I already had, and not succumbing to making a call to Domino's, my lunch consisted of homemade sweet potato chips. 

A trip to the grocery store is in order, but later in the day, my daughter phoned. "Want to go to the Harbor?" Of course I did. I'd been potting plants, and needed a break from scooping dirt, and I was hungry. 

McCormick and Schmicks at National Harbor didn't disappoint. Customer service means a lot to me, and Chris, our server was very knowledgeable efficient, and polite--and my food was good. 
 Dinner definitely made up for breakfast and lunch. 
 We stopped by Dad's, and he was busy making sweet potatoes. What a coincidence. As always, he offered us something to eat. Accepting anything would have been utterly greedy. I kind of wish I'd taken him up on the watermelon offer though. That would have made a nice breakfast for tomorrow...

We did stop by the store though, and I totally forgot the eggs...: )

No comments:

Post a Comment