'Be anxious for nothing..." ~Philippians 4:6

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

SOMEONE'S DAUGHTER


























I had a great time recording with keyboardist and worship leader, Kim Jordan yesterday. I was feeling grateful that I have the opportunity to do what I love.
 

Kim even had two little girls and a little boy to come in to record vocals. 
They were so excited. They were very polite, respectful, brimming with promise. It was delightful to watch them utilizing their talents. Someone had encouraged them; given them an opportunity; taken an interest. When they found out they would get paid for the session, they were shocked. They had just been having fun. For them, it wasn't work at all. Who knows how yesterday's experience impacted them and their choices for their future?

It was nice to get a call from my daughter while I was working with Kim, learn that she was nearby, and be able to ride home together. We stopped for a bite, chatted, and through it all I (once again) greatly appreciated the thoughtful daughter I've been blessed to have. 
We had options for the evening, but decided against them, and headed home.

It's getting cooler these days, and it was nice to be in out of the rain last night. I learned the hard way, years ago, that night air is not a friend to my voice. 

The plan was to make a nice cup of tea and watch a little TV before turning in. I hadn't long finished my meal before I heard the sound of fire engines. Something was going on outside, but I didn't make any effort to investigate. The knock on the door made it necessary to get dressed again and evacuate the building. Talk of a possible gas leak made me move a little faster than normal.

When we got outside, it occurred to me that it was the first time I'd seen all of my neighbors at the same time. Everybody shared the same sentiment of having been happy, safe, warm, and definitely in for the evening. Standing outside in the drizzle in varying stages of in-for-the-evening dress hadn't been the plan. One neighbor said that the knock on her door had cut her prayer time short. 
No one was anxious to be in public. 

As we headed down the hill to join other neighbors where the fire engines were parked, I saw a young woman leaning against the fence. I wasn't sure if she was talking on a cell phone, or just waiting for someone. She didn't have an umbrella, and wasn't dressed for the weather. My first instinct was that something was wrong, but I ignored my instinct and listened to the voice that said, "If there's a gas leak, maybe you should keep it moving."

The whole ordeal, the evacuation, waiting for Washington Gas workers, the inspections, and the heavy rain, lasted a little over an hour. Heading back inside, I noticed the young woman was still there. Everyone, including me, had ignored her; overlooked her. Maybe we all assumed she was okay. I shuddered when it occurred to me that she had been outside long before the evacuation, and fate brought her to our gate. 
Maybe she was our assignment.

I went inside and called 911. I got a blanket and went back outside. She was no longer standing, but lying in a fetal position on the sidewalk. I watched to see if her back was heaving and prayed she was alive. When the police and fire department crew arrived, it was clear that she was no stranger to some of them. They were assessing whether she was high, injured, or sick. She had no ID. She was unresponsive. She was drunk.

All I kept thinking was that she was someone's daughter. I thought about the two little girls who'd been at Kim's studio. I was so sure that at some point in her life, this young woman had been cared for by someone, too. I was so happy when the ambulance arrived and she was placed on a stretcher. She'd be warm, now, and on her way to getting help.

All day, I've wondered who she is, and if she's okay. 
All day, I've been grateful for my own daughter; for my mother; for every wise person who cared enough to pay attention to a young me. 
I don't think I'll ever forget the young woman's face, her disheveled hair, and soaking wet clothes. What happened that made her choose to drink herself in such a stupor that a cold sidewalk would be her bed for the night? 

I admired the DC Fire, Police and EMT employees for showing compassion toward her. 
I pray she's okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment