'Be anxious for nothing..." ~Philippians 4:6

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD














I had such a pleasant time at Congress Heights Senior Wellness Center today. 
I took the bus, and was a little ashamed that I had no idea how much the fare was. The bus driver actually laughed, and looked at me as if I had just been returned to earth by space aliens. I guess it WAS funny and odd. Maybe I AM the only person in all of far SE/SW who didn't know. It has been a few years since I've taken public transportation, and although I am well aware that it is THE most convenient way to travel in DC, I will call Yellow Cab in a heartbeat. Hearing that the fare was only a dollar surprised me. I was all prepared to shell out at least $2.50.

It was a short, but nostalgic ride to the center. I'm glad that there were no taxis available--today anyway. I smiled as I passed the street where I lived as a child, and Ft. Carroll Market--the corner store that was our source for Now and Laters and Rainblow Bubble gum. 
The ride reminded me of how much I used to enjoy taking the A-8 to 10th and Pennsylvania Avenues when I was younger. It also reminded me of the shock I experienced at 18 when my parents decided to become suburban and there was no beloved Metrobus in sight. 
I HAD to learn how to drive. That's probably when my love affair with bus rides took a nose dive, I guess. 
I suppose I have CHSWC to thank for reigniting the flame. Clearly, nothing kept the seniors from getting to the center.

The ladies in the Art class were so delightful, and they were waiting patiently for me. Once we got started, they dove right in, choosing colors and deciding whether they wanted their still life to be vertically or horizontally placed. Watching them create made me smile. They're doing all the work, really. I feel like I'm just a cheerleader. 
It's good to see people still embracing skills they learned in elementary school. It's even better to be in an environment where people actually want to learn.

None of them had ever used oil pastels before, but they jumped right in, and created some of the most beautiful images. I think I'll make a Shutterfly photobook for them.

There's so much in the community that constant bad press threatens to keep people from ever knowing of, embracing, or exploring. The wellness center is a jewel in the neighborhood I've always loved, and such a wonderful resource for the seasoned citizens of Ward 8.

A late lunch at Uniontown Bar really emphasized the need to bring more attention to the positive things around us. The meal was delicious. Everything is not blighted and unwelcoming; negative or repulsive.
One just has to get out and find the good. 
It's definitely there...: )

No comments:

Post a Comment