'Be anxious for nothing..." ~Philippians 4:6

Friday, March 24, 2017

PURPOSE

I was working on some logo ideas for my sister when my laptop screen went black. I hadn't noticed the battery icon flashing. When I looked to see if the cord had detached, I didn't see the telltale blue light that indicated it was charging. I unplugged it from the back of the laptop, then plugged it in again. The light came on, but as soon as I moved my hand, it went off again. I hadn't anticipated working while holding on to the cord, besides, the wires had been hanging on for dear life for a few days. I figured it was probably time for a new one. I logged on to Amazon and ordered a new power cord. Thanks to Amazon Prime, I'd have it soon, but I still had work to do that couldn't wait for the new cord to arrive. 
In the meantime, I found some tape. (Tape is your friend.) It wasn't a good look, but it worked. It merged the wires for about 15 minutes, then the screen went dark again. I jiggled the cord and the light came on again. I restarted the computer and the battery icon was frantically flickering on and off. I knew I had to do at least three things: Rely on electricity to sustain the weak battery, keep the cord still, and prop it so that it fed directly into the outlet. 

I looked around and saw my pencil sharpener on the dresser. 

I could almost hear it say, "Oh no. No. NO...Wait...What? Hold up! Excuse me! Don't even think about it! Do you know who I am? I sharpen pencils--MAC pencils! Faber Castell pencils! I do NOT prop up broke-down computer cords! That is nowhere in my job description!"
The sharpener had been excellent in its sharpening ministry. It hadn't chewed up a single pencil, cracked, or become dull, but it was going to be able to boast a new skill.
I slid the pencil sharpener under the cord and it was as if it had been designed for the space. It was just the right size and stabilized the cord. The sharpener spoke again. "Well, would you look at that! The light came back on. Did I do that?" 
I smiled, and imagined it was a little bit proud of itself. I was proud of whatever spirit led me to grab it in the first place. No. It wasn't doing what it was designed to do; maybe some would think it was being misused or taken advantage of. Of course, there is a specific tool for every job, but enlisting the sharpener to serve another, albeit odd purpose, surely was a big help to me. It didn't shift or move out of that space. The light remained on, and I was able to finish my work.

In that moment I wondered how many times we reject, decline or walk away from opportunities to be of assistance because we limit our skill set to one thing, aren't flexible, or underestimate our abilities or qualifications. How often do we miss out on being a blessing because we think we're too good, busy, exclusive, special, or over-qualified for one task or another? Helping in meaningful ways, especially in emergencies, is never a waste of time and is always appreciated.




Perhaps who, and what you are, and what your primary purpose may be, is obvious, or widely known, but don't ever let that deter you from helping when, and where you can. Don't be offended or feel diminished if tasked to do something different or outside of your comfort zone. 
You may be just the right fit for the job...: )

No comments:

Post a Comment