'Be anxious for nothing..." ~Philippians 4:6

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

WEDNESDAY THOUGHTS: IN THE MORNING














I left the television on last night. 
I woke up and heard Andrew Wommack say, "You can't control what other people do, but you can control how you react to what they do...Be an example...You just keep doing what God told you to do..."

WHOA! 
I admit, I've been a little frustrated lately. 
I wasn't happy about a selfish decision that was made which affected me and others, but I didn't say anything about it. I just let it nip at my insides. 
If it came up in conversation, it seemed as if my sarcasm concerning the situation was heightened. 
I didn't like the way I was feeling. 

I'm not confrontational, but I do need to work on saying what needs to be said--when it needs to be said, and not internalizing things so much. 
It's kind of silly when a situation is over--long over--and you're still smarting about it. 
No sense looking calm on the outside, and boiling on the inside. 

Someone once told me, "You're too nice. You just need to cuss someone out one good time." I laughed, but didn't see the need to take the advice, even though sometimes it seems that people feel free to say whatever they want, but you aren't supposed to respond. If you do, the offense is so devastating to them. 

I've noticed that people who dish out the iciest statements, can't take a dose of their own medicine. Walking away from argumentative, harsh, opinionated people just seems like a stellar idea. But when you do walk away, don't take the residue of the conflict with you. Shake it off.

Mr. Wommack's words couldn't have been more on time. He has quite the delightful southern accent, and the calmness of his voice in no way matched the power of what he had to say. 
I decided I'd better take notes:
"If a person has really offended you, and they are a brother or sister in the Lord, if it's not worth you following the instruction in scripture, it's not worth you talking to someone else about it. Let it go. Forget it...Don't speak with bitterness and anger in your heart. If you always have a chip on your shoulder, it's going to come out. 
Monitor your words. 
They are an indication of the state of your heart. Bitterness is like a cancer. Don't spread hurt and pain among other people. 
When you place value on other people's opinions, and are affected by what they say, you devalue what God says. 
You BLESS people. 
Let God DEAL with them. God will defend you. 
Over the years, people will see your godliness. You can't argue a person into faith--or ANY thing. 
You can't force and convince people, or make them back down. Even if people WANT to argue with you, see the futility of it.
One of the turning points in the ministry of Billy Graham was when God told him that he was not the Holy Spirit. We are just to proclaim the truth. Many of us are limiting what God can do through us because we are not being examples in our words and conversation. We are not giving God credit. We are trying to say things and make things happen, instead of letting our lives speak for us. What you are speaks so loud people can't hear what you say. You'll win over a lot of people when you stop getting off the track, and going into the grandstands to argue with them."

That last line was rich. It's so important to stay on track. Keep your eye on the finish line, and try not to trip, stumble and fall over something minor and small--especially poorly spoken words. Don't let trivia slow you down, or cause you to lose your witness. Watch your words and your thoughts. Watch what you say to others. Be an example.

No comments:

Post a Comment