'Be anxious for nothing..." ~Philippians 4:6

Thursday, January 11, 2024

QUARANTINE LIFE: POETRY PROMPT---IT'S WORK


“FOR CREATIVES, 
AND THE PEOPLE WHO USE THEM” (inspired by a young friend’s new business venture. 
Go get ‘em kid!)


Yes. 

There’s a fee. 

Do YOU work for free?

Food, clothing, and shelter 

All matter to me.

It might look like fun

But when I am done

I need compensation 

Just like anyone 


You see, there’s no fairy

Paying my bills

No happy leprechaun 

No magic pills

When I work— 

Though it may not seem like work to you

I expect compensation

Just like you do


It’s amazing, how what you do is labor

But you want creatives to do you a favor

Let your check be short—

You’d be stomping about!

But my work for you, is “just helping out”

Why are you the only employee here

While everyone else is a mere volunteer?


When I leave my home

To enlist in your task

The fact that you think you don’t have to ask

Whether I need, or ought to be paid for my work

Makes me conclude you’re a bit of a jerk

With a habit of expecting something for free

From everyone you seek to use

As for me

It’s taken a while to gain strength to say

“My time is worth something.

I DO deserve pay.

I don’t have to grovel, or settle for less.

I don’t have to contend with shady business.

I don’t have to fear consequences of “No”.

No more pay-to-play!

I don’t have to go!

I really don’t care if you don’t think I’m “nice”,

I’m not interested in what you think should suffice.

If what I am asking is more than you’ll pay

Go ask someone else. 

It’s really okay.”


I’ve learned that it costs to participate 

Never should I have to wonder, or wait

Whether, if, when, or how I’ll be paid

I should know that before a decision is made


Sadly, I now know (by the name on the call)

If there’s an intention to pay me at all

No consideration for how I’ll get there

No thought at all for wear and tear 

Or what it will take to prepare for the task

What it will cost me?

They don’t even ask!

Just “Can you, will you, why don’t you come…”

And when all of the work is over and done

Instead of the money you thought they would pay

You’re treated as if you stole something that day

Folk disappear; won’t return your call

And act like you never worked for them at all!


“Know your worth” is the lesson that this message sends

Listen, especially young creative friends 

There’s good news! Please, hear me when I say

Handle your business, and do it today!

There are those who will value the work that you do

There are those who won’t cheat, use, or shortchange you

There are those who’ll gladly pay what you ask

They so highly regard you, as well as the task

That they’ll reach out and ask what you’re able to do

And they’ll not think twice whether to compensate you.

They won’t exhaust you down to your last breath

Won’t nickel and dime you ‘til you’ve nothing left

Won’t make you remember the last time you wept

Won't abuse your kindness, or work you to death


One more thing you must learn, and learn it now

Is that people can only do what you allow

Certainly, discern when to share, and to give

But don’t ever forget, you, too, have to live






VRWc2024

No comments:

Post a Comment