'Be anxious for nothing..." ~Philippians 4:6

Monday, July 17, 2023

QUARANTINE LIFE : MONDAY THOUGHTS


So… As I slowly emerge from isolation, I’m pondering and noticing stuff. For starters, there’s been a great deal of construction. Some places are unrecognizable!

Social media has been good for keeping in touch, but it sure is good to see people, face to face, who you haven’t seen in a while. 

I’m driving a bit more, and people are really speeding! The aggression of the driving I’ve witnessed reminds me of something my Dad used to say: “A car is not supposed to be a weapon. Don’t aim. Drive.”

There’s a level of impatience on the road. Lots of tailgating and near sideswiping. In the nanosecond that a light turns from red to green, drivers five cars back are honking. Why?

Masks are rare. Anyone wearing one has reverted back to looking like a bandit, as opposed to a responsible citizen. But I respect them. I may not wear a mask as much anymore (I know. Shocking, right?), but I always have one handy. One, lone cough still makes people bug out their eyeballs, whip their heads around, and smirk in disgust at whoever’s spreading droplets. We may not want to talk about Covid, and many act like the pandemic never happened, but the response to a sneeze or cough betrays us all.

Funeral attire is apparently a thing of the past. I remember when clothes had a purpose based on the occasion. I’ve never seen more skinny jeans, sneakers, flip flops, bodycon dresses, beach, sleep, and club wear. Times have changed…lol

It’s hotter outside. No need to elaborate on that, as I thank God for functioning AC.

Is it me, or do store employees think that ringing up your purchases is not included in their job descriptions? Is self checkout perceived as a skill we all need? Are we being forced to be proficient at it, and shamed for preferring to deal with a human? Is self-checkout optional in my mind, but mandatory in theirs? Why are employees, who are standing in the middle of the floor doing nothing, heard muttering when customers are waiting at counters? Are they security? Does anyone realize that this model is not a time saver, if there are 17 people in line who have ten items or less? Did it occur to anyone that the location of the machines calls for space—and a varying bag sizes?

I just had to have almond M&M’s yesterday. I know I could have DoorDashed them, but off I went to the local CVS. (Yes, I bought popcorn, too. Have you met me?)

The look the reluctant employee gave me would have been more fitting if I’d swiped a bag, stuffed my items in it, headed toward the exit without paying, and rammed her with a cart! 

The handful of times I’ve shopped lately, in at least three different stores, I wasn’t in an hurry. Each encounter involved extremely long lines— in spite of the presence of several employees. Were they all on a break? The eye roll and shade you get when you approach a counter, or don’t hear, or know which way to go when someone yells “Next!”, is vicious in these sorta post-pandemic streets! 

…and just because someone doesn’t choose to use the self-service option, doesn’t mean they’re visually impaired, technologically challenged, or illiterate, and need to be snarkily walked through the prompts…and yes. I’m Black in America. I need a receipt…even if it is the length of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge.

Finally, good customer service is, and always has been worthy of recognition. Say “thank you”. Tell the manager about that polite, conscientious employee. It’s nice to encounter people who recognize that they aren’t merely representing themselves, but an organization, and endeavor to put their best foot forward. 


#IDontWorkHere 

#customerservicematters

#backtolife 

No comments:

Post a Comment