'Be anxious for nothing..." ~Philippians 4:6

Saturday, December 10, 2022

QUARANTINE LIFE: ART

 


Some people are always trying to minimize, dismiss, dissect, or question even the smallest things you do—especially if it impresses them so much that it pains them to offer a compliment first, instead of doubting its authenticity, or picking it apart.

The idea that you could actually be good at something—whether it’s cooking, writing, speaking, painting, playing an instrument, participating in a sport, singing, or just BEING—seems to trigger the envious, insecure, skeptic in others. They’re always looking for a catch, a trick, a shortcut, or a cheat sheet to pounce on.

“Did YOU do that? 

Is that YOU?

Is that YOUR work? 

Surely you can’t be THAT good, competent, or talented. You must be doing something nefarious!”

Then, they find out that, with a little effort, (and an app) they can do it, too (and now, you’d swear they were the combined reincarnation of Steve Jobs and Michelangelo).

Remember, the apps we all use to make our lives easier, more efficient, or more fun, are the result of someone else’s work.

I’ve been asked how I “feel” about AI as if it’s something that should terrify me. Art supplies were introduced to me in the early 60’s. I’m past 60 now, and don’t see myself ditching my Crayolas no matter what technology brings to the table. It’s the same feeling I have about printed books, vinyl records, and classic, antenna TV. Just because something new comes along, it doesn’t devalue the old.

Recently, I was also asked whether I use photoshop. I laughed. Surprisingly, I never have. I still use Microsoft paint with my forefinger (ever since I stumbled across it in the early 90’s, after years of fiercely rejecting all things computer-related), if I want  a mess-free painting or drawing experience. 

If I want to turn my face red, the editing options on my iPhone camera app are ready to help. Technology doesn’t have to be an artist’s enemy. 

I don’t feel threatened or frightened by new technologies…okay…except the idea that was floating around about armed robots. Now, that was creepy.

I watched the 1940’s film “Scrooge” the other night. With the technology available at the time, the comings and goings of the Spirits were still as fascinating as they ever were. I didn’t change the channel in disappointment, or disparage the trick photography because it wasn’t CGI, but I digress…

I truly don’t mind AI. It puts the “A” in STEM and makes it STEAM! Art should have been included all along! 

The images that have flooded my social media timelines, are stunning. Everyone is suddenly transformed into flawless, gorgeous, splendidly adorned, Marvel Universe-like superheroes!

People who don’t fancy themselves as creative or artistic, are having lots of fun with the technology. As with anything that some people attribute to cheating, like the use of a calculator, GPS, or even a danged recipe, you still have to read, learn, and know how to use it.

The AI users, nor the images generated, take anything away from traditional methods of creating art. It doesn’t erase time, study, passion, or skill. Whether AI-generated images are “better” than hand-crafted ones, is subjective. 

I don’t know anyone who’s tossed their art supplies in the trash in despair. There’s no competition going on. No one’s being put out of business. No need to pit one creative outlet against another. 

People hold on to what’s tried and true. Having options is a good thing. When the battery fails, the internet connection is lost, or the power goes out, there’s a lot that you can STILL do artistically.

AI, like the advent of photography, gave society yet another means to capture feelings, ideas, moods, and experiences. No one stopped painting, drawing, or sculpting just because the camera was invented. 

The debates over the use of AI bring up interesting points concerning intellectual property. It’s like asking if auto-tune or sampling, in Music, is cheating, stealing, tampering, or are tools for the untalented, uninspired, and lazy. 

Ideas build upon existing ideas. Technology helps that along. Does it replace, or make you forget or despise the original? Heck no.

If you’re trying to scam or fool someone, using, taking, or posting another person’s work without their permission, presenting it as your own, taking credit for another person’s idea, and profiting from it, THAT’S criminal. 

If you’re playing with an app and generating art? Go off to your heart’s content. You’re unwittingly studying line, shape, value, texture, color, space, and form. 

After all, you know how you REALLY look, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment