'Be anxious for nothing..." ~Philippians 4:6

Thursday, July 12, 2018

REUNION


In a room full of people I used to know
I saw traces of youth I'd known long ago
I heard stories of woe, joy, and levity
And I wondered how they all remembered me

In a room full of people I used to know
I saw eyes dimmed by age
Yet they seemed to glow
I heard laughter ringing just like it once had
And I wondered if I couldn't be more glad

We were changed in some ways
Yet, we're still alive
We complained of our aches
Yet we've all thrived
We embraced warmly; friendship could still be found
Each one thankful the others were still around

The anxiety I'd felt before I came
Faded fast as soon as they all said my name
They confirmed for me that I still had my smile
It helped me decide to just stay a while

I was suddenly back in a happy space
Where I'd felt safe and loved more than in any place 
Surrounded every day by the work of their hands
Not yet impacted then by all that life demands

In a room full of people I used to know
I was grateful for grace; as I turned to go
I was glad I had not been stopped or delayed
From the lovely gift that was new memories made 

vrw© 2018



No comments:

Post a Comment