'Be anxious for nothing..." ~Philippians 4:6

Tuesday, July 24, 2018

CAREGIVER DIARIES: On the Other Side




















In the summer of 2004, courtesy of Roger Holmes, I had the honor of meeting Nashville music legend, LaVerne Tripp and his talented son, Terry. The apple didn’t fall far from the tree!
The recording session was so pleasant, and it was fun being coached by Terry. 

I hadn't thought about that day in years. 

Last night, I had a sudden burst of energy, so I decided to tackle the sorting of my Dad's remaining albums, CD's, DVD's, cassettes and even 8-track tapes. I smiled when I saw the Sister Rosetta Tharpe album. For a long time, when I was a kid, it was one of two albums we were allowed to play on Sundays. The other was Mahalia Jackson’s “Bless This House”.

In an unmarked jewel case, I came across a TDK CD labeled "Vanessa's Song". I put the CD into my computer drive, and was so surprised to hear the song I'd recorded 14 years ago. I hadn't heard it since the day it was played back in the Tripp's studio. For some reason, it hadn’t been included in the project.

When I was recording, I'd always come home and share the demos I'd made with my parents. I'm glad Dad kept it. Listening to myself sing has always been a bit creepy…lol...Another song I like, however, was right in its messaging last night: "Sometimes you have to encourage yourself". A memory, in song, of a happy day, was encouraging.

The past several months since Dad died have been challenging, as well as healing. There have been victories and setbacks, but all in all, I really can't, and won't complain. 
It's good to know, and remind yourself that you're not alone, and "life is worth living". 
It always has been.

Click on the title below if you’d like to take a listen. Thank you, Tripp family..: )
 
You Came My Way 

No comments:

Post a Comment