'Be anxious for nothing..." ~Philippians 4:6

Thursday, January 4, 2018

CAREGIVER DIARIES: PEACE OF MIND

















I'd made an appointment for today, and knew I'd have to get up a little earlier than usual. 

I slept well last night. Sleeping through the night is a blessing.
I'd come home encouraged yesterday. I'd sat in on my Dad's physical therapy session, and although he was a little tired, he cooperated with the new therapists. He even stood up again.

This morning, it was easy getting out of bed. I'd gone to sleep listening to an outstanding interview Steven Furtick conducted with T.D. Jakes. I detected a bit of a spring in my step.

I went to the bathroom, then came back to my room and turned on the light. That's when I saw it. A spider. It was just sitting on top of my tunic I'd left at the foot of my bed last night. 
Yes. I annihilated it...with a towel. I smashed it on the tunic and then it fell onto the floor-- where I finished the job. The color of my carpet created a dilemma. "Where is it?" I thought. I looked closer at the spot I'd pulverized, and there was the spider looking like Beetle Bailey after Sarge had tied him into knots. 
Now I have a towel to wash...and a tunic...and a spot to clean...because they all have spider juice on them.

I laughed at the situation...then got all churchy deep, 
"When the wicked, even mine enemies and my foes, came upon me to eat up my flesh, they stumbled and fell.." 
That's Psalms."
 
I wondered how long that spider had been there. 
I wondered whether it had repelled from the ceiling, and was so glad it hadn't landed on my face as I slept. I wondered how long it would have taken for it to crawl from the foot of the bed, under the comforter, and onto my skin. How close had I been to being bitten? Was it just trying to flee the cold? How was it that I turned on the light at that precise moment and saw it? 
Of all the things I could have focused my attention on in the room, I zeroed in on that spider. I had no notice or warning. It had quietly come into my space and was just sitting there watching; waiting. Potential danger and trouble was near; poised and perhaps pondering to do me harm, but I was allowed, directed, inspired even, to see it first, assess its intentions, and be rid of it...immediately before it had a chance to impact me. Of course, I did all of that analysis after it was dead.
There would be no mutually satisfying cohabitation with an adversary. It would not be welcomed with open arms or a smile. I would not be finding an empty salsa jar and making it a pet. I wasn't glad to see it. It's comfort was not a priority. One of us had to go, and it wouldn't be me.
"It's time to secure the perimeter", I thought...and laughed. 
"Some time today, I'll get out the shop vac to vacuum the baseboards, ceiling corners, and window sills...and I'll break out that can of Raid under the kitchen sink, too. If there was one spider, surely, there's another one...or two".

I intend to sleep well again, tonight...and tomorrow, Lord willing.

A friend recently told me, "The enemy knows how much you value peace, that's why he's working so hard to use people, things, and circumstances to disturb it. But you have to remember the promises you have, and stay focused. Don't be distracted. You're well equipped to handle anything he throws your way."  

Like the spider, the snow that fell during the night was a surprise, too, but not a deterrent. It was the kind that could be easily moved with the broom. The wind even helped. 
"No distractions" I thought. 

#itsbeenagoodday

No comments:

Post a Comment