'Be anxious for nothing..." ~Philippians 4:6

Monday, February 29, 2016

INVITATION

I understand networking. I'm a homebody, but not antisocial, and I'm not exactly a schmoozer.
I received an invitation from a longtime friend to attend an event at which another longtime friend was scheduled to perform. I replied to my friend that I would attend. The rather rude reply I got back from a stranger, was that my reply was received, but I would not be allowed to attend unless I paid a substantial fee. So...
I googled the definition of the word "invitation". INVITATION--the act of inviting; the written or spoken form with which a person is invited; something offered as a suggestion; an invitation to consider a business merger; attraction or incentive; allurement; a provocation.
I concluded that my friend was the "attraction" to secure my presence, not that my presence was necessary. My friend was the provocation to get me to open my wallet. Do I think my friend was worth the fee? Sure--that is if any percentage of the fee would have ended up in my friend's pocket. Did I like the way the whole "invitation" thing was handled? Nope.Did I miss anything? Maybe. Is my money still in my pocket? Yep.
I laughed, and figured I've had enough priceless conversations and interactions with my friends (and will enjoy more) that didn't involve strangers and their agendas-- or entrance fees, or tickets, or membership in an organization of which I have no interest. Paying to play in environments where politics rule and reign (and shouldn't) is not appealing to me.
There's something about being over 50. Stuff that used to move you just doesn't anymore. You just don't feel the need to prove anything to anyone--particularly people who don't matter. The guilt trips that others sponsor are met with a yawn when your relationships are secure. The strength and stability of your relationships are determined by you and your friends and loved ones and no one else. 
No matter how important you or your organization think you are, don't ever presume that anything you can do can negatively impact real friendships. 
 #myfriendsaretruenotbought 
 #Ihateclicks  
#screwyourpolitics

No comments:

Post a Comment