'Be anxious for nothing..." ~Philippians 4:6

Monday, January 27, 2014

BELIEVE YOUR EARS

I followed the Grammy Awards in a haphazard way. Sure. I had my favorites. I love good music. I appreciate great singers whose live performances either match or eclipse their recorded offerings.

It's nice when people you actually know, have worked with, or have met are honored by a nomination or a win. Still, I wonder if the world has turned into a place where people seek to look at music as opposed to listening to it. I was happy to hear the name of Maestro Christoph Eschenbach, especially so soon after my participation in The Kennedy Center's recent production  "Beyond the Score: Dvorák's Symphony No. 9 - Whose World?".

During an interview on the Today Show, novelist, Joyce Maynard referred to "people with some miles on them". That explains it, I guess--and reassures me. No need to feel old or un-hip. I'm so grateful for having been exposed, by my parents and teachers, to all kinds of music. My musical tastes are just fine... my hearing IS intact...There IS a different between what assaults my ears and what is pleasing to them...and the meanings of adjectives like "great", "awesome", "outstanding", "best" and "amazing" DO still mean the same thing they used to.

Knowledge of the criteria is key in the world of musical competition, I suppose. Considering the motives and identities of the decision makers WILL help you to better understand the decisions they make. Unfortunately, what sounds good, apparently, isn't always the principal thing, and some will be committed to making good music whether it is ever awarded or not. 
Still, I'm reminded of the words of actor Frank Langella. "So what if you went flat...so what if you missed a note. Risk it." 
That's the difference between the people on TV and the rest of us, I imagine--the bravery to risk it all to do something that they enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment