'Be anxious for nothing..." ~Philippians 4:6

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

TUESDAY THOUGHTS: TEACHER APPRECIATION


Abram Simon Elementary School. 
St. Thomas More Catholic School. 
Notre Dame Academy. 
Howard University. 
The University of the District of Columbia. 
Trinity College. 
Prince Georges Community College...

I sat down and wondered if I could remember them all--every dedicated professional who ever taught me:

Mrs. Leona Williams, Kindergarten (She was the first person to encourage me to paint. She entered my painting of a clown in a PTA auction/fundraiser, but another parent bought it before mine arrived! She could sing and play the piano that was in our classroom. Almost every day she would give us milk and cookies that tasted like the wafer of an ice cream sandwich.) She decided mid-year that I was ready for first grade, and walked me to Mrs. Thompson's class located at the end of the hall on the main level of the school.

Mrs. Vivian M. Thompson, Grade 1 (She wasn't much taller that we were, but she was firm and loving. Her classroom was so neat, and so was she! Learning to read was like magic, and she read the best stories--used voices, too. She smiled a lot, and acknowledged when we'd done well. Her form of discipline was to make a child stand in a corner right outside the classroom and face the wall. That actually used to work. Disruption was not allowed.

Mrs. G. M. Pritchett, Grade 2 (Mrs. Olivia Swinton, our Science teacher, held down the fort until the diminutive Mrs. Pritchett was hired. I STILL remember Mrs. Swinton's lesson on simple machines, and the walking field trips she led to the creek behind Eastover Shopping Center where we'd search for tadpoles.)

Mrs. R.S. Jefferson, Grade 3 (She had a grandmotherly way about her. Her silver hair and very fair skin kept people wondering about her nationality, but no one would dare ask. She passed away near the end of the school year. It was my first encounter with the death of a teacher. 

Mrs. M.P. Brown (She replaced Mrs. Jefferson for the rest of school year 68-69.)

Mrs. Lenore C. Hall, Grade 4 (I enjoyed her class. She created lesson plans and used other resources because she felt that our textbooks were lacking. She insisted we keep Black History scrapbooks and cut out articles from the newspaper any time a Black person did anything noteworthy.)











Mrs. Elizabeth Stansberry, Grade 5 (She and her husband A.C., an architect, were from Louisiana. Her classroom was in one of the "demountables", annex classrooms that faced Mississippi Avenue. She was my first teacher who was also a friend of the family--so she had SPECIAL permission to use that ruler when I left school grounds with friends and went to the candy truck that parked each day on 6th street during recess.) Obviously I had a lot to say in the third advisory...lol

 Mr. Richards, Physical Education (He was never without his whistle, and his relay races on the large field behind the school were so much fun.)

Mrs. Sally Letterlough, Counselor/Sponsor (She started a Charm Club, and sponsored talent shows.

She encouraged us to improve our posture and public speaking skills. Ms. Letterlough was hip and fashionable. I used to think she was the tallest person on Earth. She was so graceful, articulate, stylish and poised--and her perfect Afro was like a crown.)


Mrs. Ruth Frazier, Counselor (She was like the school mother--someone who students could talk to at any time of day. Her office door was always open. She was a church member, too.)

Mrs. Reamer, Librarian (She read stories and made you feel as if you were there. She taught us all about the Dewey Decimal System and encouraged us all to get library cards so that we could check out books when we visited Washington Highlands library.)

Mr. Daniel Austin, Art. ART!!!!!
 (I still have an Art certificate he gave me. Back then, there was a portion of certain days when you could choose an activity. Going to the Art room was always my choice.) Even as a child, I wondered why everyone wasn’t afforded the opportunity to experience his skill and enthusiasm. I don’t remember the room ever being crowded. Those memories played a big role in how I hoped my students viewed my class— not as a treat for a special few, but a legitimate course of study.


Mrs. Flora M. Bertman, Grade 6  (She was the first teacher referred to as "lay".  She was a wordsmith! Her spelling bees were great...Mrs. Bergman was so animated; and wore a different, colorful wig piece every day, too. I remember her telling us not to ever listen when others said we couldn't learn.)


Mrs. Duarte, Grade 7 (Such a pleasant lady. She was also one of the few lay teachers on staff. She helped a lot with my transition from public school to Catholic school.)

Sr. Mary Dorothea, Mathematics, Penmanship (She was the first teacher I was afraid of. She was tall, wore a full, beige habit,  was stern, and rarely smiled. I was awful in Math, and my workbook was filled with her red marks. She conducted penmanship lessons every day after recess, and her handwriting was flawless. There were no guidelines on HER blackboard. She would select a letter for us to concentrate on, and write a paragraph and words on the board that included that letter. I wanted to write beautifully like her, and she would compliment my effort. I made sure my penmanship was flawless, because she walked around the classroom with a wooden yardstick....)

Sr. Mary Jennifer, English/Creative Writing/Art (She included Art in everything. She played guitar and had a nice voice, too.)

Mrs. Dorothy P. Strange, Science ( Her class was exciting, to say the least. She practically sang when she spoke. She LOVED Science, always had an experiment going, and frowned on the use of anything other than scientific terms when referring to body functions and parts. She wasn't kidding about us dissecting pigs and frogs...)

Mrs. M. Harper.  I feel badly that I cannot remember what she taught, but my conduct/effort report from her was satisfactory, so I must have enjoyed whatever it was...lol

Mrs. Katherine Zegowitz, Religion (She was a competent, walking billboard for Catholicism). For some reason she gave me a poor conduct grade. I do recall asking a lot of questions. (Who do the priests confess to? Why do Catholics have to marry Catholics? Why do you pray to Mary?) Even as a child, I respected the faith, and even participated in Mass, but knew I did not want to convert to Catholicism. I remember asking why children didn't have an option in choosing their own faith. I guess I frustrated her, but did appreciate her lesson on the "Stations of the Cross".)

Mrs. Donna Tissue, Homeroom/World Cultures, Grade 9 (She was my homeroom teacher, very pleasant and soft spoken, loved discussing History, and was the second teacher in my life to pass away during the school year.)


Mrs. Laurie Siegel, Art, Grade 10-12. She ranks among my favorites. (I visited her classroom whether it was scheduled or not. Her door was always open. She was a practicing artist. She taught me how to use calligraphy pens, work with silver, prepare art for the school yearbooks, and encouraged me to attend Howard University.)


Sr. Regina Vincent, Algebra (Brilliant woman. She walked hard, was serious, and had shocking black hair and chiseled features. There was something Elizabeth Taylor-ish about her face, but she was all about Math. She loved it, and wanted us to love it, too. I earned the first "F" in my life in her class. She would walk in and begin class by inviting us to "get on the train". After failing miserably to solve an equation, she would shake her head and say, "Williams, you're not even at the station." Somehow, I made it out of her class with a "C" average, and she acknowledged my effort.)

Sr. Joyce Feddon, Psychology (She could read you like a book; played a mean guitar, too. We could discuss practically anything in her class.)


Sr. Julie McDonnough, French (I loved the sound of her class. Her voice was lilting and sweet. She would speak a line of French, and then say, "Répéter". 
Had I known what my future held, I would have paid attention even more.)

Sr. Elizabeth Charles Durbano, Latin (She loved words, and insisted that Latin was the key to mastering English and expanding your vocabulary. When we understood she was so elated. When we didn't, she took it personally. It was nothing for her to turn to the blackboard and bang her head against it, then turn around revealing a forehead and habit full of chalk dust. It was important to her that she get through to us. She was brilliant, kind, and funny. 
Daughter of Charles and Lucy Durbano, my dear teacher passed away on December 14, 2009.

Mrs. Geraldine Wingfield, Home Economics (She was always sewing or cooking. I doubt if she even thought what she did was work.)

Sr. Mary Dunfey, Religion (She was very pleasant; encouraged us to ask questions and challenge her. She never wore a habit and was also the most stylish nun ever. )

Mrs. Elaine O'Colmain, English (Our hip, young, yearbook advisor was an outstanding communicator, voracious reader, and she passed on her enthusiasm.)

Mr. Michael McGuire, Political Science (He was funny and very smart. He encouraged keeping up with current events by reading newspapers, and watching local and national news. He referred to us as the "Peanut Gallery" when our age would cloud our political views. He also encouraged us to think for ourselves.)

Mrs. Elizabeth Golibart, English/Drama ( She, too, encouraged us to love reading, and appreciate the performing arts. Her "A Tale of Two Cities" projects were legendary)

Ms. Willie Jackson, Physical Education (Gymnastics...whew...
Every one of her classes was a workout. She let us call her "Willie", and she had the neatest Afro. She always made sure you were "spotted" and safe.) She was one of the chaperones on our Senior class trip to Stone Mountain and Orlando.

Professor Julian Mayfield and Professor Eugenia Collier (Delightful, encouraging team teachers. They made their students look forward to Creative Writing, Fiction and Poetry.)

Dr. Erma E. Redfern Moore, Educational Psychology (My first post-graduate class. There was lot's of writing. I loved it.)

Dr. Beatrice Tignor, Teaching Reading In the Total School Program (A brilliant mind, and avid community supporter.)

Connie Parker, DCPS Teacher Recertification. Thanks for the seat hours!













There are more...I'm going to continue picking my brain. I don't want to forget any of the people whose love for teaching impacted my life, and helped shape the kind of teacher I became.














I definitely can't forget the FIRST teacher in my life, my Mom. Because SHE was a teacher; because we witnessed first hand the sacrifices she made for her own students, there was instilled in us a natural regard for others who chose the profession. Mom was dedicated and took her job seriously. To this day, her students are expressing their gratitude for her refusal to underestimate them.




Too often we are unable, or tragically too late at telling someone just how much their lives and life's work has touched our own. It's "Teacher Appreciation Week". I'm very grateful to have been instructed by some of the finest educators, and most delightful human beings in the world. They were not only good at communicating and sharing their areas of expertise, but demonstrated a genuine concern for their students. Their approach was parental as well as professional. Their office doors were always open. They shared their Art, their resources, their tastes in music, cuisine, apparel, books, their travels, wisdom, their ideas, and had great expectations for their students. Someone told me that college professors would be aloof and uncaring, and that in college, I would be on my own. They lied. My professors were accessible, sacrificial, and kind. They had dreams for us. They didn't hesitate applauding us when we we performed well, and correcting us when we we fell short. They were genuine, helpful, humorous, and hard working. They helped shape and inspire my Art, and enriched my life--and their own artwork was, and still is spectacular. Today, I am happy that some of my favorite teachers are on Facebook, and I'm delighted for the opportunity to publicly thank:

Martha Jackson-Jarvis -for encouraging me to explore a medium that I'd previously avoided. I will never forget her daily calming presence, pleasant disposition, knack for experimentation, and strong work ethic. When Winnie Owens Hart (whose incredible body of work always left me in awe) went on sabbatical, you were there to pick up the mantle.

Winston Kennedy- for words of affirmation, calm, clear, and concise instruction, patience, and providing skills that enabled me to succeed a few years after graduation in my accelerated apprenticeship with printmaker and photo engraver, John Fulton Gerhold.

Jarvis Grant- for walking us all through the wonder that is photography in such an enjoyable, humorous way, and teaching us how to "see differently". Thank you for guiding us to appreciate the design and beauty in the details of objects and places in the world around us that most people take for granted.


Lila O. Asher- for challenging my intense aversion to all things mathematical, and reminding me that precision and the use of technology is not an enemy of Art. I will never forget the walking field trip to the morgue...: )


E.H. Sorrells-Adewale- (one half of my Senior year advisory team, with the great Starmanda Bullock) Ade, you were our resident philosopher and, along with the late Lucille Malkia Roberts, and Albert Michael Auld, the inspiration for the manner in which I taught.

 (Malkia was like our surrogate mother, and Mike made sure we took a break from Blimpie's subs and Church's chicken to develop an appreciation for Jamaican cuisine at The Islander.) Mike Auld was probably the first person who convinced me that my Art could actually sustain me; that there were so many avenues an artist could professionally take; that it was OKAY to consider Art an actual business profession. When I became a teacher, I endeavored to make sure Art class was meaningful, not relegated to a lower rung on the educational totem pole. The HU "Design" team helped me to inspire another generation of Art literate individuals for the almost 16 years I taught at P.R. Harris Educational Center.


Thank you, Ade for taking time out of your schedule to visit my classes there. You couldn't tell my students that they hadn't been to Africa that day, AND had met a superstar!

(On a side note, I remember having a conversation with Richard Smallwood about HIS art teacher.He mentioned how she'd loved a piece of artwork he'd done and gave him an "A". It was painter, Georgia Mills Jessup, mother of artist, Rose Powhatan. HIS beloved Art teacher is MY beloved Art teacher, Mike Auld's mother-in-law.)


Frank Smith - "Blacks In The Arts" was EARLY in the morning, an 8:00 class, but a wonderful start to the day! Your presentations were delightful, NEVER boring, and introduced us all to individuals we otherwise would have never known. You taught us that it was perfectly okay to experiment and take chances with our work. You broadened our knowledge of those who were artistic greats...every day a smile...every day an affirming greeting. Thank you.











These remarkably gifted and talented individuals, in addition to Professor, and master painter Alfred J. Smith (who challenged me to draw more, and on a larger scale..."Get some GOOD paper, and use something other than a No.2 pencil! ), Authors Dr.Tritobia Hayes Benjamin and Dr. Raymond G. Dobard possessed brilliant minds, and a tangible love of Art! When they lectured on Art History, I tried to write every word they spoke in my notebook. Everything they had to say was important.), Doris Colbert (I LOVED her drawings, and admired her grace, and calm disposition), Dr.Kwaku Ofori Ansa (He was walking wisdom, and the inspiration for the use of Adinkra symbols in my own work.), Dr. Chi Chong Lee (inspired the thought of teaching art to children),

the late Jeff Donaldson (He was a great and enthusiastic lecturer! He introduced me to cranberry juice, appreciated my calligraphy, and encouraged me to never throw out a good piece of corrugated cardboard), and the late great sculptor Edward Love (He's the reason I like Gil Scott Heron, WPFW, and NPR).
I was excited to share Ed’s work with my students while on a field trip to the Smithsonian.


He, along with his colleagues helped to make 1978-1982 some of the happiest and most inspired and secure years in my life. At the former Howard University College of Fine Arts, my teachers demonstrated in word and deed that our artistic vocation involved so much more than making pretty pictures. Thank you all for unselfishly pouring so much into us, and promoting an honorable, valuable, positive and productive way to communicate feelings, ideas, moods, and experiences.



Bravo to great, dedicated teachers everywhere.














#thankanartsteacher
#thankateacher 

7 comments:

  1. http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/winstonsalem/obituary.aspx?n=olivia-laverne-campbell-swinton&pid=153783626

    ReplyDelete
  2. ROBERT TAYLOR BONDS Obituary http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/12/19/AR2005121901746.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.interchange.org/EdLove/23LOVE-CMP-NWS.htm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Flora Mae Evaldi Bertman died of Lou Gerhig's disease. 1920-1980 http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=pv&GRid=45756392&PIpi=49530055

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laurie Ann Siegel died on July 13, 2013, at the age of 66, after so positively managing the challenges of cancer. Optimism, passion and compassion defined her entire life. As a fused glass artist, she was happiest in her studio. She saw the world in colors and shapes. Her last 20 years were spent on Capitol Hill, where she was an integral part of community life. A retired art teacher from Watkins Elementary, she taught and inspired many children. Laurie is survived by her loving husband Alan Levine; sister Lissa and her partner Jim; daughter Emily and her husband Ciwan; son Eric, his wife Angela and their three children; nieces Alana, Elizabeth and Rebecca and nephew Justin; along with close friends, near and far. A memorial service to celebrate her life was held at 3 p.m. on August 3 at Christ Our Shepherd Church, near Eastern Market. To celebrate her love of color and life, mourners wore colors of the rainbow. Please consider supporting her favorite charities, The Corner Store (www.cornerstorearts.org) and Interfaith Peace-Builders (www.ifpb.org).

    ReplyDelete
  6. A ceremonial resolution, in the District of Columbia, to celebrate the life of Laurie Ann Siegel. http://lims.dccouncil.us/Download/30837/CER20-0103-Introduction.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rest in peace, Lila Oliver Asher. https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/washingtonpost/obituary.aspx?n=lila-asher&pid=197773349&fhid=3397

    ReplyDelete