'Be anxious for nothing..." ~Philippians 4:6

Sunday, October 17, 2010

KEEPING THE FAITH: EIN KELOHEINU


"Keeping the Faith" starring Ben Stiller is on television. I admit I wasn't paying much attention--not that the movie isn't good, but I was preoccupied on my computer with another task. The computer work took a back seat when I heard a choir singing. I looked away from the computer and was fascinated by the scene. Ben Stiller's character was a worship leader of sorts, enthusiastically encouraging the people assembled to stand, sing, and join in the celebration. I was thoroughly and unashamedly enjoying the song and was a little sad when it ended. I had no idea what the words were, but the scene and the song put a smile on my face. What were they singing? This is when I love the internet.
I did a search and found out the song was a Jewish hymn titled "Ein Keloheinu". Wikipedia even had a link to an mp3 of a cantor singing the song. I listened over and over to the fast and slow versions both sung in Hebrew. The cantor wasn't riffing or running, and was no Luther Vandross, but I found myself so drawn to the song. Before I knew it I was singing. "En kelohenu, en kadonenu, en kemalkenu, en kemoshi`enu..."

The following is the English translation:


There is none like our God,

There is none like our Lord,
There is none like our King,
There is none like our Saviour.

Who is like our God?,

Who is like our Lord?,
Who is like our King?,
Who is like our Saviour?

Let us thank our God,

Let us thank our Lord,
Let us thank our King,
Let us thank our Saviour.

Blessed be our God,

Blessed be our Lord,
Blessed be our King,
Blessed be our Saviour.

You are our God,

You are our Lord,
You are our King,
You are our Saviour.

I think I've found another favorite song today.

2 comments: