'Be anxious for nothing..." ~Philippians 4:6

Sunday, July 28, 2024

SUNDAY THOUGHTS : WEARABLE ART


When the upper and the sole are made of quality materials, but the balance is manmade, the outside of a shoe remains pristine, but over time, the inside cracks and peels like a bad sunburn…or like lead paint in a damp basement.

I guess shoes aren’t supposed to last forever, but it might be less weird if the shoe’s parts disintegrate at the same time. 

I haven’t bought shoes in years. I know. That shocks me, too. I did the high-heeled shoe purge during the pandemic. Some were donated, others were consigned, and a few pair were painted and transformed to wearable art.

I convinced myself that the Kenneth Cole “REACTION” pumps were designed by a sneaker head. Walking in them was a piece of cake. The interior devastation, however, wasn’t cute. The Tahari kitten-heeled pumps I also kept, have been a staple when I have to go out and look presentable. They’ve always been comfortable, and comfort is a must these days. Now, they’ve bitten the dust, too. Oh well…

Another beloved pair of shoes is about to be converted to canvas. All of the flakes have been vacuumed away. Now I just have to decide what pattern or colors I’ll use.

I don’t want to throw them away. They’re salvageable, but a sistah shouldn’t scream, and think she’s contracted a rare skin condition when she steps out of her shoes. 

Time to prime.

No comments:

Post a Comment