'Be anxious for nothing..." ~Philippians 4:6

Wednesday, January 7, 2015

WEDNESDAY THOUGHTS: FIRST SNOW

























Yesterday, I enjoyed the loveliness of the year's first snow-- from indoors. 
The weather didn't seem to stop some people, though. 
Today, I decided to embrace it, run a few errands, and take advantage of the early morning sunshine. The sunshine, I discovered, is deceiving. 
It's very cold out. I thought I had my "Nanook of the North" thing going on, but I could have used another layer. 
I hurt for every person I saw who wasn't wearing gloves...
(Note to self: 
T'is the season to keep a spare hat, pair of gloves, and scarf in the car.)

At the register, Miss Barbara doubled my bags so I could have one heavy thing to carry to keep me grounded. 
When I got back home, and parked the car, I wasted a little gasoline for a few seconds. The car was so warm! 
I got out, and then did the balance dance on the edge of the sidewalk, holding on to the car on my way to the passenger door. 
It's usually a very short walk, that requires little thought. Fear of falling, however, inspires patience, care, and strategic thinking. 
I envisioned myself wedged between the sidewalk and the car, face down in an icy puddle and laughed. 

I just wanted to get the bag, quickly get inside, and yell at myself for forgetting the hot chocolate. 
As I closed the door and planted my booted right foot in the snow, I heard, "Oh my!". 
The quiet of the morning amplified the woman's voice. 
It was my neighbor. She walks with a cane. 
She'd made it down the clear walkway successfully, but that was as far as the ice scraping and melting went. The sidewalk outside the gate was like The 2015 Ratchet Ice Capades. 
It demanded sure footing, confidence, and a pick of some sort.

I'd looked out of the window before deciding to go out, and debated whether comfort foods and dish detergent could wait another day. 
I could see it was nice, thick ice covering the sidewalk, and not the powdery stuff that had fallen as I'd slept Monday night. 
As I age, my love affair with cooler weather and temperatures amuses me. 
I used to detest Winter and all that it entailed. 
Here I was contemplating going out--voluntarily.

The ice reminded me of my childhood. 
I remembered myself crying as I stood at the top of Upsal Street hill. 
I wanted to go to school, but was terrified of falling down that hill. 
It hadn't occurred to me to use my vinyl book bag as a sled, like my sister and the other kids had done. They yelled from the bottom of the hill for me to hurry. When I yelled back, "I can't!" one too many times, it became apparent that I'd gotten on all of their collective nerves. 
They trudged back up the hill, grabbed me by the arms, and ran me down that hill. 
I screamed all the way, but it was nice to get to level ground. (When was the advent of the beloved snow day? I don't recall such a thing, but I digress.)

That same terror that I'd felt as a child, made a comeback, and was all over my neighbor's face. 
I wondered if she would just say "The heck with it" and go back inside. She was standing still--trying to figure out how she was going to navigate the ice. 
It's too cold today to be standing outside for even a little while doing anything, let alone thinking
My neighbor seemed frozen, and I knew she wouldn't be able to tackle the ice.  
In the back of my mind, I could see us both sprawled on the ground, but she needed help. 
Just as I decided to put my bag back in the car, a very tall, strong, brother clad in a liquid-paper-white, hooded, quilted, snowsuit/jumpsuit/onesie thingy, was walking up the hill. 
He just appeared out of nowhere. 
Yeah. I said it...out loud. He was an angel
His appearing couldn't have been timed better.
Chivalry lives! 
He opened the gate, took my neighbor's arm, and guided her across the ice and snow, off of the sidewalk, into the street, and to a waiting car. 
It was beautiful to see, but I didn't look very long. 
It was still cold-- and I smiled all the way inside.

It's nice when blessings come precisely when you need them.
Oh...and kudos to all of the Metrobus drivers on the A route, who waited for passengers as they navigated Bellevue's frozen, snowy, hills.

No comments:

Post a Comment