'Be anxious for nothing..." ~Philippians 4:6

Monday, September 1, 2014

MONDAY THOUGHTS: SAVING SOLES

I like browsing online...I don't have to buy a thing...just look, admire, and move on....
I remember when I couldn't pass up a cute shoe, though--especially one considerably marked down in price. (I stopped saying "for/on sale". My Dad says, "EVERYTHING in the store is "on sale", and who set the prices?"
My motto used to be "The higher the better"...in reference to shoes, that is...Can you see me high? Me either…lol)

I remember my first sky-high pair of shoes. It was Easter Sunday 1972, and my mom was so upset. I recall her muttering something about my Dad knowing better, and me potentially breaking my neck or ankles. She was still sewing for the three of us that Easter eve, so my dad took Robyn and me to the Eastover Shopping Center J.C. Penney to buy shoes and said, "Get what you want so we can get out of here". 
We happily lost our minds that day...Mommy would have gone to "Stride Rite", "Jr. Mode Bootery", or "Boyce and Lewis" to purchase "good" shoes. 
I used to think there was a person named Arthur Pedic, and I hated him AND his ugly, "good" shoes.

The older I get, I appreciate dear ol' Arthur and all of his supportive, low, pain-free, cushion-y friends...The next high-as-a-kite pair I remember were for high school graduation. Bakers Shoes...Iverson Mall...When I made my choice, I clearly forgot about the slippery, marble runway that is St. Aloysius Gonzaga Church's middle aisle...I tipped all the way to my seat, but I liked my white shoes. I even added the shoe in one of my first drawing assignments in college...These days, my knees sit me down periodically to inquire whether or not I would like them to hang with me for the duration. I see their point, so I have descended to Earth considerably, always have flats on hand, and have let go of many pairs...*sigh*... Oh, I've kept a few favorites, but they now have a very strict time limit...I still like to look, though. There's something architectural; something positively artsy about certain shoes, even if putting them on and immediately taking a seat is all they're good for. It's funny how you can sense intense pain just by looking, so you make different choices...However, I think someone who has paid their tithes, rent/mortgage/utilities, bought groceries, added to their savings account, and has a few dollars to squander--AND quiet, not so bossy knees-- needs this simple, girly pair in their lives...They're currently available at one of my favorite sites, Gilt.com. Buy them. http://www.gilt.com/sale/women/fall-shoes-6633/product/1050526863-maiden-lane-ella-t-strap-pointed-toe-pump
It would make me very, very happy for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment