'Be anxious for nothing..." ~Philippians 4:6

Monday, June 17, 2013

GREAT FINDS

I've actually enjoyed my library assignment...Four more days...I can make it... I really do believe most of the children are finally getting the whole "quiet" thing. I figured that they'd look at the space and their behavior in it, differently if I told them enough that it is an important, special place; one of the few places in the school that is shared by everyone. I stressed how important it is to maintain order, because of course, one never knows what amazing research is going on, or who's in deep thought. We're also awfully close to the main office.
Only one group made it necessary to go back to their classroom. They just don't respect the space. It looks nothing like the playground or gym, so I don't get why they can't seem to settle down. "Library", "run", and "talk loudly" just never went together in my book. Anyway, the seat work they had to do, once back in their classroom-- reviewing their syllabication skills--wasn't nearly as fun as hearing Maurice Sendak's "Where The Wild Things Are" read aloud, and seeing the animated version--in addition to other Sendak stories. Yep. They blew it, but they'll ace their next vocabulary test.

Some of the most rewarding parts of my days are spent rescuing books that were to be discarded. I'm almost done. I found a copy of the first book Vera Williams illustrated, "Hooray For Me!" (No...That's the title of the book, but I am feeling good about the idea of the children owning their own books and wanting to read.) There was an autobiography of Harriett Tubman, one of Gordon Parks, and a copy of  Dr. Seuss's "Bartholomew and The Oobleck". A little boy named Tyler got a copy of  "Tyler, Wilkin, and Skee". Setting it aside for him just seemed like the natural thing to do.

Today, I also found and cleaned up a hardcover copy of "Prince Ivan, The Firebird, and The Grey Wolf", published in 1968. Not one hour later, I found out there was a little boy named Christian whose mother is a native of Ukraine. I was glad that yet another beloved book would have a seemingly perfectly fitting home, where the thought of discarding it would never enter anyone's mind. "This story is from my childhood!", she told me as I handed it to her.
She opened the book and looked at the pages as if I'd given her gold. "I will read this to my children. Thank you, very much!"
...Okay...You had to be there...
It's amazing how little things can make you feel terrific...: )

No comments:

Post a Comment