'Be anxious for nothing..." ~Philippians 4:6

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

WEDNESDAY THOUGHTS: SUBSTITUTE TEACHER TALES



Today was better—much, much better. 

I got up early, and took the brisk walk to the school. I'm noticing I'm tackling that hill a lot easier than I did back in April. 
I'll just add "physical fitness" to the "pros" list of my experience. 

I didn't have to raise my voice at all today. The disruptive students have dwindled down to one. Progress! He is making me wonder if divine intervention is in order. 
He respects no one--not the principal, dean of students, educational aide, his grandmother, nor me. 

When I met his big brother this afternoon, and asked if he could help him improve his behavior, and be a good example for him, he said, "He doesn't look up to me. He won't do anything I say. I try to help him with his schoolwork, but I don't know why he acts like he does". 
Maybe it was too much responsibility to lay on a 5th grader. 

I had to write a referral once again. I'm beginning to wonder if I'm just practicing my penmanship, because nothing ever happens. I'm convinced that he simply wants and needs all of my attention. 
His behavior is markedly different when there's not an audience.

I know all of their names now. 
I've met several parents who seem to be glad that I'll be there for a while. 
For the most part, except for that one little darling, for whom I will continue to pray, the aide and I have managed to maintain a decent amount of order during the day.
 
They just needed routine. 
They just needed to know that I wasn't going to leave them. 
They also needed to know that their actions yielded consequences, and that their classroom environment had everything to do with how, and whether they learned anything. 
Something as simple as me mounting and displaying their artwork and classwork, bringing plants, and cleaning their desks and coat closet, made them happy. 
They asked, 
"Why are you doing that? Why are you cleaning up?" I told them that it bothered me that they were working and eating at dirty desks. 
They seemed to be surprised that I gave them paper towels— not just to cover their desks, but on which they could put their food. 
"This way, when you're done, you can ball up everything and put it into the trashcan." 
They thought that was a novel idea.

My attempt to read "The Story About Ping" failed miserably during morning meeting. Sitting quietly, listening attentively, and keeping their hands and feet to themselves was, for some reason, a challenge. 

I found out that something happened on the way to school that distracted them. They wanted to talk about it. I had to be flexible, and use it as a teachable moment. I sent them back to their seats and asked them to open their composition notebooks so that they could write about it. 
I've noticed that many of them need lots of help with their handwriting. I gave them another writing assignment. By the time they got tired of writing vocabulary words that ended in "ng" and "nk" and writing number sentences, it was time to visit the library. 
The aide made a good point to them: "You will be taking tests in second grade, you know. You'd better get used to sitting quietly and writing".

So far they've been great about collecting pennies, and participating in the book drive. I kept several students in the classroom with me, while others went to the library. We reviewed the school rules and school pledge. I know. It's May. I just think, "Better late than never".

I remained in the cafeteria with the class a little longer than I planned. I was pleasantly surprised to see them in a nice neat line when I went to pick them up from the playground after recess. "Are we quiet Miss Williams?" 
They were.

When I got back to the classroom, the very nice school secretary brought a wonderful plate of Jamaican cuisine to me, since I unintentionally missed the Teacher Appreciation lunch that the principal so graciously catered for the faculty and staff.

This afternoon, "The Story of Ping" was a lot more successful. As a matter of fact, they seemed transfixed. Maybe it was hearing about all of Ping's family members. A little math revealed that the classic story is 80 years old this year. Just as an incentive, I offered a cash prize to the student who could tell me the correct total of Ping's family members. Little Philia was the only one who answered, "67!" 

I know teachers aren't supposed to have favorites, but she is special to me. I found out she is the daughter of one of my former elementary school students. It's like looking into her mother’s face all over again. She was so well behaved, and when she found out I was her daughter's sub, she told her, "I didn't give Ms. Williams any trouble, and you'd better not!" 

I do love running into former students. It's a little bit of a shocker that they are now parents, but nonetheless, something that puts a smile on my face--especially if they're responsible parents.

As I left the school this afternoon, I looked up, saw the storm clouds, and picked up my pace. Contemplating what tomorrow will bring has become a habit. Being thankful that I made it through the day has, too.

I pray for their absent teacher. I pray for them. I pray for their parents. I pray for myself
All I know is what my teachers taught me. I know their methods worked. They were caring, but firm. They were purveyors of order. Classroom management was not a problem. They were considered our parents away from home. 

The announcement this morning was a bit telling. Faculty members were absent, but no substitutes were available to cover for them. I wondered if it's really that none were available, or that, based on past history with students, or perceptions of schools east of the river, none would accept the assignments.


It's good to be at home. I'm tired. I'm thinking about those kids as I type. The progress they've made is remarkable. I am not going to leave them. It's so ironic that I read this while checking mail:

"It is important for you to recover from recent stress by leaning on Me. Be strong. Don't give up. All things that represent a problem, are only stepping stones to understanding the work of My kingdom more completely. Keep looking up, says the LORD. Never forget that I am leading you to victory.

"Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me." ~Philippians 3:12

I needed that.

No comments:

Post a Comment