'Be anxious for nothing..." ~Philippians 4:6

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

PAINT!




I finished 3 paintings at the end of 2011. I was actually quite proud of myself. It had been a while since I'd worked with actual paint. (My computer's paint accessory is so much more convenient, and a lot less messy.)
 
2011's proudest moments, however, involved my daughter. I'd entrusted her diplomas (undergrad and law school) and Court of Appeals certificate to an amazing framer, Barry Lester, who owns one of Washington, DC's best kept secrets, The B Spot Gallery, located on Pennsylvania Avenue in SE. When they were done, I wasn't a bit surprised at the quality and artistry, or the care with which they were handled. After the unwrapping "oohs and aahs", and smiles and tears, I'd stored the corrugated board that he'd used to protect the frames and glass. 
I remembered thinking about my college professor, the late Jeff Donaldson, and his amazing use of corrugated board in his work.
One day, late in November, I went back to the closet for something else, and decided to take out the board, instead. I WANTED to paint. Question was, Did I HAVE any? 
I'd taken the acrylics I did have to the wellness center I'd visited to teach an art class in September and October. 
After a brief search, I realized I DID have paint. Three colors: Black, white, and brown. 
I decided to use what I had, and follow Professor Donaldson's advice, "Never toss out a good piece of cardboard". 
This cardboard was a bit special, to me anyway, considering what it used to hold. I looked at the 3 undamaged pieces I salvaged, cleared an area and started to paint. I didn't have a plan, but was feeling awfully grateful. I considered if there was something to the notion that the surface will often tell you what it wants to be. 

 There'd been a lot of prayer, and then a lot of rejoicing in 2011. It really was a good year. I finished two paintings, then put the third piece away. Then, I got an easel for my birthday. I think my daughter was happy to see me painting again--the old fashioned way. I was, too.
I finished the third painting in December.

I haven't made any resolutions, but painting is on my to do list for 2012. 
Whatever it is that you love to do, (that won't land you in jail or Hell), don't abandon it. Embrace it it again.

Happy New Year...: )

P.S. Someone asked me if prints were available, so I turned to cafepress. Click on the picture above or the links. 

1 comment:

  1. You're just one beautiful woman through and through. I am a fan for life. You are a core artist & a very beatiful woman. Yeah, said it twice & maybe you're three times a lady -- yes you are beautiful Ms Williams!.

    Tony

    ReplyDelete