'Be anxious for nothing..." ~Philippians 4:6

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

EARTHQUAKE!!!



























I was sooooooooooooo not ready for that! 
I was preparing to go out, so thank goodness I was dressed! 
When the Yellow Cab driver finally called, I told him I wouldn't be needing a taxi after all. 
My friend Dianna called, and had experienced the quake while on Alabama Avenue. She decided to just come and pick me up. 
In the meantime, my neighbor, who was a bit emotional, needed support. Dianna and I decided that my neighbor would be going with us, too. 
I'd packed a bag for the Art class I was scheduled to teach, but suddenly realized I should be packing to be away for a while. 

I laughed at myself when I got home and saw the bottle of alcohol in my purse. Had it been in my hand when I finally left the bathroom after the quake?

The noise of the late night flights headed to DCA are nothing compared to the 45 or so seconds I spent in my bathroom, wondering why the floor was not being its usual still, cooperative self. 
My first thought was that there had been an explosion. 
Earthquake never crossed my mind until I saw the wooden sculpture that had been on the bookshelf, lying at the foot of my bed. 

I'm still a little rattled. I'm not excited about the idea of aftershocks. I'm wondering how I did today. Did I panic? Was I ready? Does one even know what to do? How long did I just stand in the middle of the floor wondering, "What WAS that?" Was it a stop, drop and roll situation, or a stand in a doorway deal? 
Look. The earth has been pretty still for all of my 50 or so years. Clearly, there's something that's in no way new, but it's no longer relegated to the west coast. Today proved that it can and does happen. DC is as good a "divers place" as anywhere else, I suppose.

Spending time with the senior artists at Congress Heights Wellness Center was such a welcomed thing. Teaching delightful people who really wanted to learn didn't erase the memory of the quake, but it was a nice diversion. Knowing that neighbors care, was a nice thought, too.

I'm tired. I've snacked. I even did a few tee shirt designs to pass the time. Today could sooooooooo represent my one and only earthquake experience. I'm good. I don't ever have to go through that again. 
I need no convincing. It's not fun. Period.

No comments:

Post a Comment