'Be anxious for nothing..." ~Philippians 4:6

Sunday, July 3, 2011

OPPORTUNITY


Driving back from Forestville this afternoon, I noticed a woman standing on a median. She was selling water and Krispy Kreme doughnuts. As much as I love Krispy Kreme, I can't see my way clear to buy them off of the street. The thought of exhaust from cars, dirt, debris, gnats and ants making their way into the boxes is a bit of a turn off. It was so hot today, too. I could imagine the doughnuts continuing to bake in the sun and losing the melt-in-your-mouth quality that Krispy Kreme is known for. My apprehension, however didn't matter. For everyone like me, there are probably others who simply see the logo and could care less if the boxes are stacked on the ground at a busy intersection.
The woman seemed determined and prepared.
Even though I had no plans to make a purchase, I hoped she would sell off her stock quickly and get out of the heat.
She walked past the car and headed toward other cars that were approaching the traffic light. I guess she assumed that if I, or people in the three cars in front of me had been interested, we would have gotten her attention. The people sitting in the back seat of the car in front of me WERE interested, though. They seemed to be scrambling for money, and kept looking back to see where the woman was. One lady let down her window and was waving, but the woman never turned around. The other back seat passenger was waving, too, but neither of them could get the woman's attention. She'd probably concluded that there were prospects headed toward her, and she never thought to look back. The light was unusually long, and one of the passengers was waving cash out of the window. I looked in the side mirror to see if the woman had turned around, but she hadn't. I decided to blow the horn. When I did, she turned around, but just then, the light changed from red to green. She couldn't get to the car fast enough. The car in front of me hesitated, but I imagine the driver decided not to hold up traffic. They'd get their water and doughnuts elsewhere.
The woman was in position for a sale--not one, but two-- but she was facing the wrong way. She had a good product, a great product, even, that was desirable even though her venue was unorthodox. She gave up on one direction and opted for another.
I drove away, too. I don't know what happened next. Did she decide to give up? Did she sell all of her merchandise? Were the people in the next few cars ready with their cash? Is she still out there? Did she get caught in the thunderstorm?
What stuck with me was that she missed an opportunity because she was too far away and looking in the wrong direction. Fortunately, it doesn't mean that she failed. Maybe now, she'll remind herself not to give up so easily. Maybe she'll look both ways from now on. Sure, she missed THAT opportunity, but it doesn't mean that another, perhaps better opportunity isn't on its way.

No comments:

Post a Comment