'Be anxious for nothing..." ~Philippians 4:6

Saturday, July 10, 2010

PROMISES: The Studio Sessions Begin


I was a little tired on Thursday afternoon when Stephanie called and said she was 10 minutes away. It's been scorching in DC, and something as simple as putting on clothes can be a perspiration- inducing activity--even with the air conditioning set on "Antarctica". It's been so hot that I have not been inclined to go out unless I absolutely have to. I was eagerly preparing myself this day, though, and took the ride from DC to Bowie, MD. The closer I got, the more the tiredness went away, and even the heat wasn't an issue. 

It's recording time.

We've been rehearsing for several months, once a week, the way we always have when it's time to work on a new project. We've been patiently taught, and just as it was at the very first rehearsal, the only instrumentation is Richard on piano. Unlike the very first rehearsal, though, technology has given him fantastic new toys to enhance each tune. We have new toys, too--no more cassette recorders. 
We've gone from the basement of the old Metropolitan Baptist Church on 13th Street to the basement of Richard's beautiful new home (which by the way affords us about the same amount of space.)
The songs are beautiful, and I already have a favorite. Raymond Reeder and Daniel Weatherspoon have written great songs, too.

Fifteen years ago, Vision was formed. We're a little older now, but the enthusiasm is as bright as it's always been. The thought of a new project always brings back memories: 
*Finding out on a trip to Chicago that we were going on our first trip to Italy. 
*Getting my wish to sing with Maurette. 
*The loss of my mike partner, and our fashionista JoAnna Johnson, and more recently amazing tenor Jeffrey Waddy. 

We've experienced deaths of parents, and births of children. We've logged thousands of miles in travel, and amassed zany stories that we're always saying we're going to compile. We've been though a lot- some good, some bad, and here we are again bringing to the world what God has whispered in the ear of maestro Richard Smallwood. "Adoration", "Healing", "Rejoice", "Persuaded", "Journey", and sometime in October this year, "Promises" will also be a source of encouragement for so many listeners.

When we arrived at Richard's house we could hear the familiar noise. His little Christian dog, Mozart always meets everyone at the door. (I call him a Christian because he literally lies down with his tiny head on crossed paws when we pray.) To hear him bark you'd think he was a much bigger animal. I suppose he's used to us all by now, and he was his usual affectionate self when we arrived. 
It's always nice when Vision gets together, and we have a chance to chat with each other until Richard says, "Okay guys. Let's get started". 
Steve Ford is on hand once again, and he and master engineer Tom Petroski had set up all of the recording equipment and transformed the room we've rehearsed in for so many months. In each of our seats were headphones and radios. It's always fun to hear the orchestration for the first time. 
This session was just to get a bed of vocals to use at the recording studio. Steve has super bionic ears, so we can't get away with weak intros, flubbed lyrics, or off notes.He won't let us go out like that.

We finished three songs Thursday night, and it seemed as if time went by so quickly. When he said we were done, I was kind of disappointed. 
It's official. I could sing with my Vision family all day.

Being a part of Richard's ministry changed my life. I don't know if I could be more grateful.

1 comment:

  1. AMAZING blog. Just being able to read about what the process is of recording a Smallwood classic is so thrilling for me. Can you give out any song titles?!? haha, that might be a stretch, but I can't wait for this project and the many anointed hits I know will come out of it!

    ReplyDelete