'Be anxious for nothing..." ~Philippians 4:6

Tuesday, August 8, 2017

END OF THE DAY

I don't know a single soul in North Korea, and I don't think anyone there knows me. I've never been there, but I'm sure that like me, there are people who are just trying to make it each day; take care of their responsibilities; attend to the needs of their families; stay out of trouble; do what they can to be of assistance, and offer encouragement to others. Now it seems we are one covfefe away from disaster, and we haven't even met.

The president said "...best not..." Wow. Just...wow. 
If that didn't remind me of my late Aunt Lillian...only she used to say "bet' not"...and when she said it, we knew she wasn't playing...which would make all that tough-apocalyptic-Hollywood-type-talk I heard on the news today a little unnerving-- if not, of course for Philippians 4:6-7. I guess if there was something to be anxious about, nuclear war would be right at the top of the list, but my favorite passage of scripture reads, "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." 

"Nothing, Lord?" I asked Him. "Really? Okay, then. Nothing it is".

My other end of the day favorite is Psalm 4:8." I will both lie down in peace, and sleep; For You alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety."

I like that--safety that is--but still, I just find it fascinating anytime people who could do something about a situation; who could bring calm; who could just at least quash madness, confusion, and controversy with one move or one word, decide not to. Maybe they know something that everyone else doesn't. Maybe they don't care. Maybe they're following orders. Maybe there's a bigger picture, that I can't see, that makes all of the ridiculousness necessary. Maybe I shouldn't even have an expectation of, or desire consistent peace and love, and happy, happy joy joy. Maybe that's not realistic. Maybe I've forgotten that this isn't Heaven, and should remember that "this, too shall pass".

I guess our nations leaders are just going to sit back and watch this sideshow play out with the rest of us. It certainly has proved to be fodder for comedians everywhere. It would be entertaining and even hilarious if not for the fact that it's not a show. 

I wonder what the family members of leaders are saying to them. I imagine some of them screaming, "Can't you do something?" Are their sheepish replies, "You'd think so, huh? But my hands are tied."...or is it that many of their hands are dirty?

Sometimes I wish certain world leaders would just stop professing to speak for everyone, and just admit that they don't really care about the welfare of the average Joe.  
Warmongers. Bullies. Narcissists. Ugh. I wish there was a law that demanded that some world leaders don boxing gloves, climb into a boxing ring, duke it out, and stop allowing their loose lips, arrogance, pride, ignorance, hatred, and lack of discipline to cause so much suffering to the innocent people they say they represent. So many leaders are good at making enemies out of people who have no interest in war. Why won't the cowards just stop instigating and posturing and fight among themselves, and leave the rest of the world in peace?
A person's  unresolved issues really do show up and show out when they're handed a little power. But then, in so many nations, the "king" who the people have ruling over them, is the king they asked for, wanted, and chose. When the king starts wiling out and demonstrating he has no integrity or loyalty to anyone, it's too late for a do-over. 

So what's left to do? 1 Timothy 2:1-3 presents a challenge. Paul's letter probably challenged poor Timothy, too when he read it. After all, the king who Paul admonished him to pray for, was none other than that peculiar Nero. Nevertheless, he wrote, "I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people— for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior…” 

I like peace and quiet. Soooo, maybe it's time to pray for that guy in spite of how we feel; in spite of how desperately many would love to see him stripped of his authority; in spite of how much we miss not being lied to, embarrassed, and dumbfounded EVERY time we turn on the news. I know I'm tired of cringing every day. 

Prayer it is...: )

No comments:

Post a Comment